Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Like An Elephant

Speaking of recieving presents (which, by the way, my daughter is NOT getting an ipod) I just want to let everyone know that my daughter has a crazy and odd ability to remember who gave her everything she owns. Today in the car for example:

Charlotte: "Oh no! I forgot my dog!"
Me: "You don't need your dog. Here, you can have this teddy bear, or this bunny, or this baby doll, or this other bear."
Charlotte (from under her mountain of stuffed items we just happened to have hanging out in the car): "OK. I like this bunny. It's a soft bunny. Do you want to go to school bunny? Do you remember who got me this bunny?"
Me: "Not really."
Charlotte: "Anut Marci got me this bunny. And also my singing kitty card. Where's my singing kitty card?"
Me: "We lost it." (Really I threw it away after the 100 billionth time of listening to the Happy Birthday song being meowed to me. Sorry Aunt Marci.)
Charlotte: "OK. I really like this bunny though."

I had totally forgotten about that bunny, but she hadn't. She often reminds me of whomever gave her this shirt or book or toy or shoe. It amazes me that she remembers this so very well. Do you remember who got you all the things you have right now? Also, do you think it's normal that a two year old remembers who gave her every single item she owns?

4 comments:

Mindy said...

Well, that's better than my niece and nephew who have always had So Many Toys that any gift was just another thing thrown into the huge bin, soon to be forgotten or broken or whatever. Those are difficult kids to buy things for.

Jenn said...

This is exactly why I have to hang on to almost everything I own..... I'm a pack-rat! Every item has a story and I remember who gave it to me, when, and why. That makes all of my belongings special.

dad said...

I don't even emember what I give people, let alone what I get to others.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like her love language is gifts!

They really mean something to her. Nice that this ability helps her to remember and keep in mind the people who love her! How sweet!

TRS