Monday, August 01, 2011

Puppies and Babies

We're training Percie.

It takes a lot of work.

It feels like having a newborn all over again. Only this time my newborn isn't small and cuddly and really, really good smelling.

This time my newborn pounces, and nips, and smells really really bad.

So maybe it's like having an 18 month old boy who is naughty.

The difference is that with an 18 month old boy, I've already had the whole newborn, and baby phase to build up all my love.

But she is so very good and smart. Hopefully things will start to stick soon.

Goals for the week: Attention when called, standing on a loose leash, sitting, keep working on not jumping on the counters (we are going through way too many Clorox wipes)


PS. My cat is sick and keeps sneezing. I'm totally mean because this makes me laugh.

4 comments:

Dan's mom said...

Repetion and treat re-enforcement are soooo helpful. Percie is be a breed that learns quickly & should want to please you so she can learn. Mischeif didn't really care what I wanted her to do - she just wanted playtime & still only comes for treats. Corso is a social clown so you know where that is going. He doesn't jump on the counters though so that's a plus here. Hang in there - with these big critters having them under some kind control is essentil.

Dan's mom said...

Sorry about the bad typing--I forget to run spell check-

dad said...

GOOD LUCK

Mindy said...

What Dan's mom and your sister say about training dogs sounds a whole lot like potty training (or any kind of training) a toddler. Gunner only wants play time and he still only comes for treats. Maybe we can race. We'll see who starts behaving better sooner, Percie or Gunner. It's so on!!!

Good luck! I hope she starts behaving for you soon.