Friday, September 16, 2011

New Challenges


Two is such an interesting and intense age. Every feeling that my little guy has is felt entirely through his body, even if it only flashes for two seconds those are an intense two seconds. It is also such an age of contradictions. Although he clearly adores his sister, his favorite thing to do all morning this morning was run up to her and take something of hers away or push her or knock over what she's working on and then run away laughing as she screams in frustration. Clearly he wants to play with her, but his efforts were not meeting with success.

Also, my emotions in dealing with my two year old are very intense and swing wildly. One minute I will quietly watch him working with his cars and his newly rediscovered favorite dump truck and be totally amazed by him. I love him so much. He has become such a talker and I am amazed by what he tells me (mostly).

What I simply do not love is his insistence on destroying things. He is currently grounded from markers and also any book of any kind. When markers come into that child's hands they go anywhere. Today I found huge splotches on my sofa cushions that had been turned over. Part of me knew that his sister was trying to cover for him and I thought that was nice of her. Part of me wanted to scream because this is not even close to the first time he has colored on that sofa. As I was taking of the fabric that could be removed to be washed I turned around to a tearing sound. Greg had taken a really nice hard back library book and was slowly running his little finger up one page so as to tear it out. This is also not the first book he has done this to. What I wanted to do was grab the book and smack him with it. What I did do was send him to time out. He has no idea what a bullet he dodged today.

Note to self: When he turns 15 you should try letting him have markers and books again.

5 comments:

Nurse Graham said...

Ah, 2. How I remember those days. Hang in there. You know it doesn't last forever.

SFL 110 said...

Ha! 15 is not the safe age...more like 25 :)
From one who knows.

Dan's mom said...

I seem to remember a post about the "Undo-er", which would have been Charlotte. Sometimes you just have to wait out a growth stage. I do seem to remember that the boys were harder on everything, including themselves. They are just different critters. And different things will be off limits at 15........

Anonymous said...

I hope he has a sense of humor at 15 when you say he is off limits for markers and books. :)
g-jane

Rae said...

the pic is absolutely beautiful of your gorgeous kiddos! as a mother of a 13 year old, i wish the worst Sky would do is pee on the couch and tear up books and write on things. he didn't do those things at 2 perhaps if he did he would be doing his school work now!
Love you all,
Rachael