Thursday, October 13, 2011

Thing That Get Broken

Being a mom of two small children I'm used to things of mine being ruined. That music box I had since I was a kid? Ripped to shreds. That makeup brush I use everyday? Chewed to bits. My brand new sofa? Markered.

But today crossed the line.

And it wasn't even the kids!

Percie.

I have tried everything I know how to keep that dumb dog from getting on the counter. I've tried punishment. I've tried distraction. I've tried positive reinforcement for staying out. I've even tried tape on the edge. Nothing works. I just have to keep zero food on the counter. Zero dirty plates. Zero anything that might interest her. That's why when I brought her into the house due to wet weather today I felt pretty confident. I had wiped every surface and put away every dish and cleaned everything off.

Then I was downstairs folding laundry. I hear a big crash from upstairs. I don't immediately react because I was waiting for the tears. They didn't come. Weird. So I decided to investigate. That stupid dog had pushed the butter dish, which was as far from the edge of the counter as I could get it, off the counter onto the floor. It smashed to pieces. I couldn't even find any big enough pieces of the handle on the top to glue together.

I know what you're thinking. It's just a butter dish. Totally replaceable. This is true, unless you know the story of this butter dish. We had purchased it with money we received from our wedding. It matches all our other dishes in the set. (Did I mention that I love matching things and sets?) It cost us $54. Dan's eyes nearly fell out when he saw that price, but we were (a) newly married and (b) using someone else's money. Those were the ONLY reasons I was able to get him to agree to the purchase.

So now the $54 butter dish is broken. Not to be replaced for probably a decade. I better come to grips with that fact. Oh well, it would probably have been broken by one of the kids at some point. This is why my china is still in the boxes.

3 comments:

Dan's mom said...

What was the name of the pattern? I think I remember Blue Jetty but I'm not sure. As for Percy, I could send Mischief to tattle on her so you could catch her more quickly- hmmm, might not be the solution you are looking for. Maybe baby gates on both openings unless she has figured out that she can jump them. Did your trainer have any suggestions that you haven't already tried? Leaving her leash on so you could step on it as soon as she jumps only works if you are right there. Have you tried spraying things with Bitter Apple so they taste bad when she gets them? None of mine have been such avid counter surfers, so I have no other suggestions. The only thing left is the very modern, nothing on the counter kitchen, so practicle with childern, I know.

Mindy said...

:(

I loved that butter dish, too. Mostly because it makes me think of countless delicious meals at your house, and Maggie's homemade rolls w/ butter. Mmm...

I'm sorry.

You should make Percie do chores to help repay you for the butter dish. You might be the first person to make your dog rake the leaves or fold your laundry. That'd show him!

Anonymous said...

No comments, no advice. My mother would hit them with a broom. She hated dogs and cats but always fed them so them kept coming back...even the strays.
g-jane