Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A Christmas Story

Charlotte left her new shoes out.

The dog chewed through the strap rendering them useless.

I took them in to the only shoe repair guy in town (that I know of) hoping for some sort of miracle wherein the guy could raise these shoes from the dead.

Turns out he could.

He said it would cost $8.

In the shop I turned to Charlotte and I told her she was paying as much as she could of that because she left the shoes out.

Today we picked the shoes up and he totally fixed them. You can't hardly tell the strap was torn in half.

Charlotte unzipped her green m&m money purse and dumped all her change onto the counter.

He helped us make little piles of pennies and we all counted it out.

$3.62 (mostly in pennies)

I opened my wallet to pay the difference.

He said that was OK and he'd just take the $3.62.


I walked out of the shop a little dazed by the kindness.

I hope to re-tell this story to Charlotte when she can understand it a little better.

And maybe me too.

4 comments:

Dan's mom said...

There are still kind, wise people in the world. It's wonderful to find them in unexpected places. A bit of Christmas magic for your & Charlotte's memory books.

Nurse Graham said...

What a great lesson for Charlotte--she gets to learn about responsibility, paying for mistakes and grace all in one day.

Anonymous said...

I wish that shoe maker the gifts of love, friendship and good health for this festive season and in the years to come.
g-jane

dad said...

You are great parents. Thanks for a wonderful Christmas.