Thursday, December 15, 2011

Simplify

**Editorial Note** This post is about pee. If you don't want to read it that's OK. Stop now. My dad says it's too much, but I don't think so.

Having never been a boy or had brothers around my age there are certain aspects of boyhood that I seem to be finding out along the way. The most recent revelation has been about potty training. It took quite a bit more patience with Greg than with Charlotte, but now that I feel he's potty trained, I look back and realize that there were far fewer moments of "I have to go potty" in completely inappropriate places. I remember many times with Charlotte finding my palms are sweating and I'm nervously looking around for a toilet with the desperation of a crack addict trying to find his next hit.

Yes, this time around took longer, but was a lot less stressful.

There is just one aspect of this that I have such a hard time with boys. Aim. You can't just plop a boy down on the potty and tell him to go because then you may just get pee all down the front of you or on your pajama pants or maybe even across the room. In fact going potty in public restrooms is one of my least favorite activities in the world (good thing I make Dan do this with him as much as possible). My technique to avoid pee on me is to take one shoe off and actually take one leg out of pants and undies. That way the legs can be far enough apart that he wont get peeps on me or himself. The problem then is do I let him put his foot down on the floor wearing only a sock? Gross.

So yesterday I thought to myself, enough! I'm teaching him to pee standing up. That has got to be a much more simple process. Cue the laughter. I set up his step stool next to the potty and carefully instructed him as to the aiming process. Then he proceeded to pee all over the toilet, wall, toilet paper, me, mirror, and floor.

I think we're going to stick with the one leg out technique for a while.

6 comments:

dad said...

Toooooooooooooo much!

Maggie said...

whatever Dad. That's not too much.

SarahAnn said...

I don't have a lot of experince with potty training boys, two things I have learned when I was working for a daycare, have them aim at cherrios, the other thing was get a small mustard bottle and show him that way. I hope it helps and good luck.

Behrmans said...

This is when you can really get creative. They are learning to aim so put something in there and let him have some fun. We used a lot of cereal. Oh and you can get in a really good lesson of colors in if you add a few drops of food coloring. Fun times!!!

Love the mustard bottle idea. Smart!

Mindy said...

My least favorite thing is when you put your little boy on the potty, and he pees underneath the seat and out the front of the toilet. All Over the Place!

I am a big fan of him just peeing standing up. But Gunner has always had a good enough attention span and aim to make it work for us. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

For a minute I thought you were taking your shoe off to guard against getting the full force on you...I kept on reading. Good luck.
g-jane