Tuesday, December 06, 2011

The Program

Last night was Charlotte's preschool Christmas program. It was hilarious. A whole bunch of 4 and 5 year olds screaming songs they don't know all the words to and doing the actions along with it. After it was over I had to ask Charlotte to sing them for me again so I could actually figure out the words. She knew most of the words on her own.

Dan knew it was the Christmas program that night, but he was on call until 6 pm and couldn't actually get out of the hospital until 6:50 and the program started at 7. I was worried I'd have to tell Charlotte sorry Daddy couldn't make it. He texted me at 6:55 saying he was on his way and I think he almost killed himself getting there in record time.

The best part came twice though. First, once when the kids were lined up on the risers and Charlotte was worryingly looking around. When she saw Greg and I sitting in the audience (off to the side so Dan could slip in when he came) her face lit up and she had a bright smile on her face. Right then I knew I would clap my hands right off in order to get her to smile like that at me again.

Then, over halfway through the program, Dan finally made it. Charlotte was singing away when she looked over and saw her daddy in the audience. She smiled, jumped up and down and completely lost her place in the song. I thought Dan was going to cry. I know I sure did (but I think I can probably blame that on the pregnancy).

Greg's favorite part was the cheese, crackers and meat refreshments.

7 comments:

denise said...

Why do you think your father would stand up in the audience until you spotted him? Of course he did it clear through high school, but he is who he is...Is Charlotte in the picture?? The treats were your favorite as well

Dan's mom said...

Pretty much right in the center - just behind the boy in the brown sweater - she has the front of her hair pulled back & is scanning the crowd-
These are great years & create such fun memories. Enjoy them all!

Anonymous said...

I misssed way too many of those during training- really great that Dan was able to make it- made me cry too
Granpa John

Katie said...

Made me cry to...especially since it reminded me of watching you scan the audience before taking your chair in the orchestra...

dad said...

The most memorable time of my life was watching you both perform. The best was when you and Katie would beat Mackay up and throw him out of the front seat. I am a very blessed father an d grandpa.

Anonymous said...

She is looking right you! Her smile says she is so happy to see you. g-jane

Anonymous said...

Nothing beats kids' Christmas programs!
Aunt M