Monday, December 05, 2011

A Revelation

Did you know that my husband likes to play with our kids? I don't mean that he likes candyland or operation (which my kids call orthopedics) or any other structured "kid" games. He's not even particularly into building trains. What he likes, I mean really likes, is to horse around or rough house.

That's why I was so excited when it started snowing Saturday afternoon. I was hoping that he would get home in time to play with the kids, but paperwork which should have taken 1 hour ended up taking 3. He got home after dark. Charlotte was devastated when I told her she couldn't build a snowman in the dark.

Luckily he had Sunday off. After church was planned playtime. I knew he was tired and probably wanted to watch the game, but the lure of snow to a man who spent years on the Washington coast was too much for him. Although Greg fell asleep on the way home, he helped Charlotte into her winter clothing, layered up himself, retrieved the snow saucer from the attic and took to the backyard with Percie. They had a blast and stayed out there for an hour and a half. They even took Percie on the disc with them down the hill. I would have loved to see the three of them on that thing together. I stayed inside to make dinner.

Then last night, after the kids were in bed, he kept telling me, "Charlotte really loves the snow. She really loved playing today." He would just stop what he was doing to tell me this with a smile on his face. He was smiling! To which I replied, "I know. So did you. I knew you would." I just wish there were more chances for magic like that to happen.

5 comments:

Nurse Graham said...

He's just prepping you for an eventual move to Kalispell :)

Anonymous said...

how sweet!
It is really a blessing to have children - lucky all of you.

This reminded me of an article I read this morning... maybe you'll enjoy it. http://www.ncregister.com/blog/just-a-dad-playing-hero

Maggie said...

Well, I'm not sure Kalispell is an option anymore if he does go into peds ortho.

Maggie said...

Anon-thanks for the link. I sure did enjoy it.

Dan's mom said...

Spokane or Salt Lake would be options & they both have snow!

Dan has always had the wonderful ability to be fully engaged in whatever he is currently doing -"being present" is the pop-psych phrase. When he is with you, you have his full attention. Fewer & fewer folks have that ability in this hyper-connected age. Enjoy the time he can give you & know that he wishes it was more.