Thursday, December 29, 2011

DETOX

Grandma and grandpa came for Christmas. Did I mention that was happening? I don't know if I did. Here's how that happened:

First, we told everyone that Dan in on his ortho rotation and thus will not be able to take any vacation time during either Thanksgiving or Christmas. In fact he would need to be working both Thanksgiving day and Christmas day. Next, my family decided to have Thanksgiving at our house instead of at my parents. It was our family's turn for Thanksgiving this year. That was awesome. No lugging the second trimester me through the airport with two others in tow and a stroller to collapse through the x-ray scanner. No huge amounts of carry-ons to try and entertain the kids. No layovers. No feeling sick because of lack of food, or bad food, or healthy snacks that Dan decides is the only thing we're eating between breakfast and dinner. Yes, Thanksgiving with family at home is the way to go. After Thanksgiving, I repeatedly, and I'm going to claim innocently, mentioned on the phone to my parents how having a day with nothing to do alone with my kids isn't really a holiday for me. I call that Wednesday. Dan's family is huge (or rather normal sized if you're Mormon) so getting them to all come out for Christmas was completely out of the question. But since it was the in-law year for Christmas with my family, and I currently have the grandkids, my parents decided to fly in to see us instead of going down to see my grandparents.

SWEET! That meant that grandma and grandpa came for Christmas and helped to make the whole weekend simply magical. And it was magical. My kids loved every second of it. And yes, there were tears in the car after we pulled away from the airport without grandma and grandpa.

So we are now two days post holiday season and I've learned a few things. The first is that when my husband isn't around very much to back me up on discipline I tend to let a lot of things slide. Then when he is around I realize I've been letting it slide and probably that's not a good idea. The second involves vacation. As it turns out it doesn't matter if you travel, or if you plan anything super exciting to do, if family is coming then you are on vacation. To small children that translates to vacation rules apply. Vacation rules mean that there are so many adults around and they are all trying to relax so you will probably get whatever it is that you want.

You know where I'm heading with this don't you? We have hit a wicked case of vacation detox like slamming into a brick wall at 70 mph. Yesterday my son screamed in my face at my back and in the car for a solid hour because I made him wear a coat to the dog park. I'm a horrible mother because I insist on coat wearing in 30 degree weather! HORRIBLE. Today my daughter sat at the kitchen table and cried and screamed and choked on her own snot for a half hour because I told her she needed to eat her orange slices at breakfast. There were four orange slices. She loves oranges, but these had "cracks" in them that unbeknownst to me made them inedible.

Before lunch we went to Target to pick up some clear plastic totes because the kids have grown out of a size of clothing and thus we need to pack them up and put them in the attic. If I don't put them out of sight they come out of their bedroom dressed looking a little bit like homeless kids that don't have adequate clothing. Never mind there are five other pairs of pants that are long enough, they want to wear the pairs that are two inches too short. Then trying to get them to change turns into a raging battle of wills. While we were at Target my son decided to run down all the aisles. He is doing this with increasing frequency and I need to come up with a technique to stop that because he rounded the corner and ran right into this lady. Hard enough to make her make that sound you hear in the comics when someone gets hit. I was so embarrassed I took him by the arm and we walked right to the checkout and left the store.

So...now we are all on a one hour long "quiet time" break. Greg is in his bed. Charlotte is in my bed and I'm in the basement. I hope having a little more rest will help them, but probably we just have to live through this detox. I will have to keep reminding myself to stay strong and no matter how silly it seems they do in fact need to obey the rules of the house. How long does it take to get vacation out of the system?

5 comments:

Dan's Mom said...

Numerous - we are "numerous" because, as Katelyn pointed out when you are the tallest bloodline female at 5'4", not too many qualify as huge.......Glad you had a great Christmas. Sometimes the detox takes as long as the visit lasted but this was complicated by Christmas so maybe a day or two longer or at least until January and a regular schedule returns.

Maggie said...

Fair enough. Numerous does seem to describe us much better than huge. I just remember having all of us come into a restaurant at Disney and feeling a bit herd like.

Mindy said...

Oh, how I loath the vacation crazies. The crying, whining, clinginess and rule-breaking. I find that it takes a solid week to detox. Good luck.

I also love how my kid tries to make me change the house rules just because he doesn't want to follow them. I end up second guessing myself because I wonder if the rule I set is really worth the fight. In the end, I have decided that Yes Indeed, the rules need to be followed! If only to show them that you are the boss of the house, and not them. Stay strong and stick to your guns. They will detox soon. (I need to follow my own advice here, too.)

Dan's mom said...

Wait! I noticed something else.... the comment about travel. Before you leave the house in February, sit your husband down & calmly tell him that you and the children require food at regular times AND in normal amounts while traveling - even if that means airport McD's. Training absolutely ruins any sense of normal eating that may have exisited for him (he WAS a wrestler after all even though he didn't "cut weight" the way most of them do). Took me YEARS to convince his dad of such things (also stopping for childrens' potty needs......), so start NOW and you will be way ahead. We want you to have a good start to your visit-

megs and josh said...

Good Luck! You are strong!