Wednesday, January 04, 2012

What A Difference!

I was at the end of my rope.

Dan finished his three month orthopedics rotation December 30th and started working in the surgical ICU. That was one particularly intense rotation that took just about everything he had in him. Even though he loved what he was doing and I could tell he was completely satisfied with his work, I was happy to see that rotation end. His first two shifts in the ICU included an unusually long day and then a night shift. When he came home Monday morning he was walking around in a daze. I missed him terribly.

I expected him to pass out and be gone for all of Monday. That's not what happened. He stayed up and indulged his little boy in some watching of monster truck clips on youtube (a new favorite of his) and generally took it easy. He did take a nap in front of the TV "watching" football, but once he fell asleep I turned on RIO and let the kids watch it. It was really funny because, even though Daddy was asleep and they sat in their little chairs on the floor they were excited to be watching RIO with him.

He went to bed a 9pm Monday and didn't get up until almost 10am Tuesday, but what a great day! He moved all the Christmas decoration boxes back up to the attic and took down the outside lights and did puzzles with Charlotte and played cars with Greg and was actually awake, aware, and interactive with all of us. It felt like I'd been swimming under water and I was almost out of breath and then yesterday I was able to break the surface and take some super huge breaths of fresh air.

Yesterday made me cautiously optimistic about the month of January.

1 comment:

Dan's mom said...

Shift work hours are part of the draw to such specialties as hospitalist and emergency medicine-regular hours, no call. BUT, Dan was raised where patient contact & patient relationships were visible and valued, so I'm pretty sure he won't be looking at changing his field of practice. It's good that he had some time with the family - guess we could have called at 11 pm your time last night (Craig was "arraanging" the airline tickets for Katelyn' Europe trip last night; one "arranges" overseas tickets, one does not simply buy them - I guess)