Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Last Two Days

I think all doctor's offices should use kilograms. Up until yesterday I had no idea how much I weighed or how much weight I had gained. Since the only thing my doctor ever said was that I was "right on" I didn't even bother asking what that meant. Then I had to get my weight measured at a different office and they use pounds. Now I know and you can't go back to not knowing. I'm sure I'm still "right on" because that's what the lady said, it's just that "right on" during pregnancy is actually really a lot heavier than a person typically thinks for themselves as "right on."

In fact, now that I'm 30 weeks my body seems to be finally feeling the weight. I move slower. I'm more tired. I don't sleep as well. The next time anyone says anything about how things are going to go after I have the baby ("sleep now, while you still can") I think I might punch them in the face. If I could think of a witty and graceful remark I would say it, but honestly I'm too tired. One amazing thing about this pregnancy that I didn't have before is our huge jetted bathtub.

Yesterday was Dan's big 30th birthday. In honor of the day he spent the entire thing working. I planned lots of activities for the kids and I to do, including bedtime stories at the library. A very nice co-worker told him that he'd take the late late shift for his birthday so he came home in time to go to the story time with us. As a special birthday present to him I told him to stay home by himself and took the kids with me. Nothing says happy birthday like your family leaving you alone. I think he liked having a bit of time alone though because when I got back he had taken a bath in the big jetted bathtub. I told you that thing is great.

We did have his birthday breakfast this morning. The kids each presented him with scrap books of family photos that they had made themselves and he also got a nice new shirt and lovely coffee table book to open. All the cards had arrived earlier in the week and he opened them as they came to the house. Then, to celebrate his special day, he spent the rest of the morning tearing carpet out of the basement and being completely puzzled as to what is happening down there. How does the carpet get wet if the pad underneath is dry? Or did the pad get wet and then dry faster than the carpet? Where is that awful smell coming from? How much money are we going to end up paying to fix whatever problem we have? Happy Birthday honey! We love you!

5 comments:

Dan's mom said...

The carpet issues makes you wonder if the previous owners had replaced the carpet to hide a leaky basement......WA has some real estate law to deal with known but undisclosed problems that; I haven't a clue about MN. Dan's dad wanted to call him ~ midnight your time & sing "Happy Birthday" but I vetoed the idea. It was sung in his honor - off the phone.

Maggie said...

we got the text this morning. It made me laugh that he got it in under the gun.

Nurse Graham said...

So I'm lousy at sending birthday cards, but does it count if every time I wrote 1/24 (which was a lot!) I said "happy birthday, Dan" & the kids looked at me like I was crazy?

Sorry to hear about the carpet woes. Hope the solution is easy to find & cheap to fix.

dad said...

Your carpet issue is a true puzzler. I suggest you call a damage restoration company like Servicepro who fixes water damage and get their input.

Happy Birthday Dan.

Dan'smom said...

I missed that there was an odor - perhaps one of your critters has developed a very bad habit.......