Monday, January 28, 2013

What is a potato?

While in Denver I got to watch Jeopardy every night.  And also Wheel of Fortune.  Dan and I used to watch Wheel of Fortune every night, that is until kids bedtime got in the way.  As I'm sure all of you, my dear readers know, one of the recent answers on Jeopardy was about a root vegetable with an almost black skin and purple center.  The question being what is a potato.  The ear doctor got that one right.  Tonight I decided to make dinner in honor of that question:
Did you know that when you boil these the water turns green?  Neither did I, but it was a fun sort of surprise.  It felt a lot like when you do the acid/base experiment with red cabbage in elementary school.  You know, the one where the cabbage water turns different colors at different pH?  Am I the only one that remembers doing that?  Well, it was cool and everyone should remember that one.

I tried to take some photos of my sister and her little cutie.  I'm pretty much horrible at this sort of thing, but I did like these two:
Too bad the first was was so washed out.
Do you see that her little guy is totally smiling up at her?  I don't often have the right timing to get something like that.

Also I thought you might like to see some of the things Lee is now doing.  Standing by himself:

On vacation he really liked getting into Aunt Katie's cupboards.


 And playing with Roscoe.
 Who tolerated him because he was feeding the dog all the time.  I couldn't get him to stop.  Or leave the dog alone. 
 We went on walks.
 And ate at restaurants. Oh how I love eating at restaurants!  It is my dream.  It makes me feel a lot like Fancy Nancy, or Eloise.  Probably Eloise.
 We watched a sheep sheering at the Stock Show.
 And played a bit with some of the wool.
 But mostly he just loved Aunt Katie's cupboards.
 Oh!  And did I mention we loved eating out?
Probably I should have staggered the photos into a couple of posts, but it seems that is something I need to work at.  We had such a great time.

2 comments:

Dan's mom said...

Dan grew up with those experiments, too, and baking soda/vinegar volcanos. We also did some home veterinary procedure - mostly stitch removal, which also occurred to people at home.....We loved the Stock Show while we lived in Denver - Dan missed that by several years though- and it's never to early to learn to appreciate good fiber! Good the Percy had broken Lee in to big dogs - wonder if he missed the fur. Sorry that Dan prefers to eat at home - maybe when his "discressionary budget" opens up a bit.Glad you had a good time!

Anonymous said...

wonderful! Sounds like fun.