Saturday, October 23, 2004

Fall Rain

It has been a real fall week here at the BYU. As I was walking up to campus the other day I decided that I am in despirate need of something. I need a new coat. Anyone that knows me might be thinking right now, "Reah right you need another coat. You already have three coats." They would be right about the amount of coats I have, but I feel that just one more would do the trick. I'm going to describe the coats that I have to you and you see if you can figure out where the hole is that would be fixed by another coat.

1) I have a beautiful green wool coat that I bought myself last winter to wear with nice clothing. It is mid claf and I wear it on Sunday's over my church dresses. It kind of looks like a dress and it is beautiful. It's not very practical though so I don't feel safe wearing it during the week where it could get dirty/ruined.

2) I have a rain jacket. This rain jacket is great. It keeps the rain off of me without making it too hot. It's just one thin layer of jacket so if it's cold then I have a hard time with it.

3) I have a snow/winter coat that is really warm. My parents bought it for me when I was a senior in high school and it is truly amazing. It is so warm. There is no way I'm getting cold in that thing. I love it.

Do you see the gaping hole in my coat coverage? Well, if you don't I'll tell you what it is. I need a jacket that would be warmer than the rain jacket and not as warm as the winter coat. I decided this because the other day when it wasn't raining, it was just really cold I decided to go onto campus with my winter coat on because that rain jacket was NOT keeping me warm enough. Well, I got about half way up the hill and I was about to die I was so hot! Then when I was in my class I took it off and got cold! It was ridiculous. Anyway, I know if my grandma read this she'd probably tell me that I have enough coats and I'm just complaining. Well the truth is that she's right, and I know it. All I'm saying is if I had just one more coat I'd be happy as a clam temperature wise this fall/winter. Also I realize that it doesn't get as cold in Oregon as it does in Utah, so that new coat I was describing would be pretty good for Oregon or Washington if I end up there. Anyway, that's what I decided the other day.

3 comments:

Sam said...

I know exactly what you mean. I hate walking to campus and getting sweaty because I have too many layers. An in-between jacket would be perfect for ya.

Anonymous said...

I have a perfect solution. I feel i am able to give this little tid bit of info because i myself have many many coats and jackets. Also because i as well live right by the Y so i know what the weather is like.
Here it is. The perfect in between is a wind proof jacket from mountain hardwear. Yes a bit pricey but that is what ebay is for. Light weight yet warm, not too warm and can be used for layering. Either that or a patagonia monkey man vest. Well i hope this helps!!!

Anonymous said...

Layers. A light sweater under the rain jacket for barely cold days. A heavier sweater later. Or two light ones. Add and remove as needed. You'll know when it's time to switch to the real coat. I love my sweaters like you love your mittens. Marta