Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My Year to Shine

Last year I was horrible at getting good presents for Dan. When I say horrible I am not exaggerating. Every single gift that I thought out, planned and gave was a dud. That's why I decided that this year is my year to shine in the gift giving category. I already have a plan for his Christmas present and it will cost a total of about $5 and a whole year to plan. That's how dedicated I am to what I will hereafter refer to as The Gift Glory Year.

The only problem is that his birthday is in January and I have no money to get him glorious gift #1. I was going to get him some wood clamps because he wants to build this beautiful mission style bench for our house with drawers in the seat and a great back. He doesn't have enough clamps of the right size to complete the project. I was super excited to get him the right clamps, but now that's off the table. I need to find him something that he'll enjoy that is cheap or free. The only thing is that my awesome cheap present is slated to be the Christmas present and I couldn't give it now even if I wanted to because it really will take a whole year to put together.

Another issue about the clamp situation is that he can't start the project until we have money to buy the wood for it so it's not like he could start it for a month or so anyway. The clamps would have been there though when he was ready to start. He's been doing all this research on mission style furniture and the woods he wants to make the thing out of. He is really excited about it.

So any ideas? I just want him to know how much we love him and what a great dad he is and how much we appreciate all the work he is doing right now. I know that clamps probably wouldn't have said all that, but they would have made him happy. I think in order for this to be The Gift Glory Year I'm going to have to be much more flexible. I'm too stuck on those stinking clamps!

4 comments:

Katie said...

Dan is a hard guy to buy for.


How about calling his mom and making his favorite treat? You could make a bunch of it, wrap it in cute little bags and hide them all over the house?

Or you could put together a scavanger hunt for him?

Anonymous said...

Not sure if your hubby is into these kind of gifts, but I think I'm going to do this for my significant other, but I'm calling it "a month (or year) in review" and I'm going to take pictures everyday of something that catches my eye or reminds me of that special someone and then write a little description of why that makes me think of him and then put it in a book.

Maggie said...

Anon-So that sounds a lot like my Christmas present. One thing a day that reminds me of why I love him! Only, I'm doing it every day so they apply to where we are right now and he can look back on it later and remember how much I love him and how much fun we are having right now.

Katie-Scavenger hunt. Now that's a promising idea. I already know that his favorite treat is chocolate chip cookies and applesauce cake. You probably knew that already too. His tastes are pretty specific. Maybe I'll have his study buddies hide chocolate chip cookies so that he finds them throughout the day. That's a pretty darn good idea.

Anonymous said...

Harbor Freight has good clamps real in expensive. Not the best quality but they will get the job done.