Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Happy Birthday

Charlotte is one year old today! Hip-hip-hooray! Am I a bad mom because I'm not planning on doing a big party for her? I was going to make her a cake yesterday, but since were were both sick and I'm not totally 100% yet, I didn't and I don't think she'll worry. In fact she didn't even open any presents today (she's already received TONS of gifts from grandparents, aunts/uncles, and other family). I think I might invite some of our friends over for dessert Saturday, but nothing big. We spent about 45 minutes today reading ALL her books because we were just going to read her new books from both grandmas (THANKS! We both love them!) and then she kept bringing me all her old books too. We ended up reading all her board books and she was in heaven. Charlotte really likes her new Spot's First Easter book. And, I'll admit it, I cried while reading her I Love You, Little One. Luckily I'll get over that before she remembers anything. I think when she gets up it would be fun to make homemade thank you notes with her. She likes crayons, markers, and anything she can make marks with.

In other news I just wanted to tell everyone how awesome it is to have good friends here in St. Louis. I was so sick and we had no food yesterday. I knew it would be a good idea if I had 7up and soda crackers. I just couldn't think of getting myself off the floor (that's where I was laying so Charlotte wouldn't think she needed me to pick her up on the sofa) and dressed to take the little one to the grocery store to get it. In comes my guardian angel! I called Mindy and she went and picked it up for me and delivered it. That was all I ate yesterday and it saved me. She is such an awesome friend. I hope that I can help her when she needs it in the future.

Also, Daniel came home at 3 yesterday! Isn't he so awesome! He knew I was sick and since it was the first day of classes for this term (pharmacology and pathology) he knew he could take an afternoon off. He went to the grocery store to pick up a few essentials (milk, bread, dinner for himself) and helped me with Charlotte. Isn't he great? Also, by that time I was starting to feel a little better so when he asked, if I wanted to go out with him and Charlotte for a while I said yes. Turns out that was a good idea, but I pushed it a little too far. We went to look at a house we want to buy and Dan is all fire up about it. We went to go see inside it and at first I was fine, but then as we kept moving around I got all sick again so we didn't get to see the detached garage/carriage house in the back. Anyway, before we looked at it he liked the idea of buying a house, but after looking at it he got super excited. He spent 6 hours looking things up on the computer last night after we put Charlotte to bed. That's right. He was so excited he couldn't sleep until 2 AM. I woke up around 1:30 to go to the bathroom and saw the light on in our front room. In my clouded state I figured we had forgotten to turn it off when we went to bed. So I walked to the front and turned it off and walked back to bed. After crawling in bed I saw a person move out in the hall. That completely woke me up and I reached for Dan to wake him up and realized that Dan was the person in the hall. I had turned the light in the front room off on him while he was reading his home improvement encyclopedia! He was still so excited about this new house he was up in the front room reading his home improvement book! Isn't he cute?!

2 comments:

Anth said...

I can't believe Charlotte is already one! Happy birthday to her!

I wouldn't worry one bit about not having a party. At this age, it's for the mom anyway. We didn't have any party for Miss E when she turned one. I think I might do a little something when she turns 2 in June, since she's much more social and aware now.

Maggie said...

Thanks. I wasn't worrying until I got an invitation to her friend's birthday party who is a week younger than her. It looked like a big deal party. So I wondered.