Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Boring

I sense that my short posts about the house are getting fairly boring for everyone. I'm sorry. There's only so much of me I can give and, well, the Internet gets the least of it. In fact that seems a theme of my life right now. There's only so much. Physical, emotional, and financial limitations are real and I seem to be running into all of mine at the moment. What is strange though is that I don't seem to be feeling as overwhelmed about that fact as I used to get. I sort of feel like I'm living inside of a Dave Ramsey book. I write down what I would like to have done (in my head) and who I would like to see or help then I face the fact that there's no way on earth that I'm going to get it all done. I work and give and help until I go to bed and I say to myself, "The other stuff was below the line." I feel bad that I can't get to all of it, but tomorrow will be the day for the next thing on my list. Mostly I just feel bad about all the people over the summer that I would have loved to see, visit with and get to know.

Usually my mantra is that the mopping can wait, but right now it's not mopping that is requiring my attention. It's the whole house. And it can't wait. Dan's going back to school next week. On Monday he went in to talk to the head of the ortho department and left me alone with Charlotte and it nearly killed me. I forgot how hard it is to try and accomplish something while being the sole person watching her. Now I'm very, very worried about school starting. My way of dealing with it to pretend like it doesn't exist. I'm focusing on this week, this job, this time we have together instead of the looming school year.

So I'm boring right now. Things might pick up later. Just remind me in a month about what Dan thought would be a good dinner for Charlotte, or what wildlife we see in our backyard even though we live in the center of a big city, or the color of our porch right now, or the beautiful flowers that were growing in our backyard. We never even knew about them until they burst forth with a brilliant pink bouquet. I can see them from my kitchen windows and I love them. I wonder what kind of flower they are and how I can keep them coming back next year. (So OK I've told you about the flowers, but I love them and I kept it short.)

1 comment:

TRS said...

Oh no... you're not boring. I love updates about the house - I just want pictures!

What a great surprise the flowers are. You committed to the place in the spring before they put on their show. They are sort of your reward for all the work on the house.