Thursday, October 30, 2008

Eating Healthy

Perhaps it's just because when I'm pregnant I have to eat what seems like truckloads of food, but eating healthy has really been on my mind lately. I have a daughter who is a fabulous healthy eater. She will eat raw fruits and veggies all day if I provided them for her. So what's the problem? The problem is in my providing them for her. I never seem to plan to have enough of them in a good enough variety to satisfy her. Also, I wish I were more like her. My first reaction to hunger is to find some yummy carbs to load myself up with. I don't really know how that happened. I have a very healthy mom and grandmother. They are both really great at cooking healthy, interesting, fancy, and enjoyable meals for the whole family. I also have quite a bit of knowledge when it comes to food. I just have slipped into the grab-n-go eating habits that aren't so very good for me. Also, fruits and veggies are expensive! My food budget, like most everyone, is very strained right now. So if my choice is between more apples or getting the oil changed on the car how exactly am I supposed to make that decision? Both are needed to lubricate important things in my life.

Anyway, I'm done complaining because who wants to hear about that. I've been hearing great things about this book lately and thought to myself, "yeah great idea, but how would I be able to afford it. Also, my daughter will eat veggies so why hide them?" Then today I was having lunch with another med mom. This mom is amazing at stretching her food dollar. I'm floored when I hear how much she spends and is still able to eat well. She told me that she loves this book and it didn't really raise their budget as much as she thought it would. She said the best thing about it for her is just fitting in more servings of veggies without feeling like she has to go and cook three or four side dishes. So now I'm actually intrigued. Has anyone else tried the book? Is it worth the investment of actually buying the book? If you've tried it, should I really get a food processor or will my blender work OK?

5 comments:

Linzi Lou, Samantha Boo, Madi Moo, and Chris too said...

so I totally saw her on Oprah when she was on talking about her book and her receipes sound awesome. I have heard nothing but great things about them. They used a regular blender on the show when she was showing them how to make stuff. I have considered buying it as well because I have a serious SWEET TOOTH and DO NOT eat enough vegis and fruit either!

Katie said...

I was going to get that book for you for Christmas last year, but then I thought twice about it.

I think it's more important for people to actaully SEE the veggies that they are eating. Otherwise, how are we going to make eating healthy a habit?

Food should look like what it is. Chicken shouldn't be mashed up and forced into animal shapes...it should look like chicken.

Just the opinion of someone who doesn't have kids yet...

Maggie said...

Linzi,
I didn't see that segment, but her ideas sound so promising. I sort of wonder though if it's too good to be true. My concern with a regluar blender is mostly in the clean-up.

Katie,
I have your same opinion about veggies needing to look (and taste) like veggies. That's sort of why I've never really thought about doing this before. Here are my thoughts on the issue. My daughter eats any veggie I put in front of her. In fact sometimes while we're at the grocery store she'll reach around into the cart and pull out say the asparagus and start eating it right then and there. (YUCK! but I'm not complaining.) When we're cooking dinner she'll snag some raw bell peppers to eat and keep her happy till the meal comes. My problem is trying to get 5 servings of fruits and veggies in every day. If I'm truly honest with myself I'm just not doing it. If she's already OK with eating the real thing then why not punch up the nutritive value of a regular meal with the veggies? Everyone in the family would benefit from that right?

My only concern is that the initial investment (book, food processor if I need it) and the ongoing investment (more veggies, more prep time) might be too much for our budget and my sanity to handle.

Maggie said...

Oh and another thought, I'm of the opinion that kids eat what they're used to eating. Since I never buy things like the frozen chicken nuggets that you just pop in the oven, and we don't ever go to fast food, Charlotte never sees that sort of thing. I feel like we're going good with food, but why not do the very best?

PS. Katie, it's not bad to have an opinion about raising kids before you have them. Otherwise where would you start when you have your own?

Nurse Graham said...

What? You mean to tell me that Charlotte never gets good old McDonald french fries?! Gasp. I am so taking her to McDonald's when you guys are here! I am, after all, the aunt who let her lick off of the brownie spoon last Christmas. :>)