Monday, October 13, 2008

A New Dog New Tricks

Sorry about the long post about how horrible things are going. I forgot that teaching a child anything takes time and patience. Also, on Sunday two of her four K-9 teeth poked through and I'm pretty sure I see the bottom set today. Four teeth all at once! Ouch! So that explains a lot. Also, I'm really lucky to have a stick to it husband. I was so ready to give in and put the side to her crib back up, but I think the tide has turned. Charlotte went down for her nap today WITHOUT crying! Now let's just hope that it lasts for a while. I always need to remind myself that teaching a baby/toddler anything new is hard and makes you second guess yourself every time. She's doing much better. She only woke up once last night and we put her right back down. So now it's just a matter of reinforcement.

Just so I remember how it worked this time when I'm trying this for the next baby I think I'll write down what worked and what didn't. This part will probably be really boring to everyone but me so now would be an OK time to skip to the next paragraph. Put her down for bed and linger just a little longer than I used to. Maybe a minute or so in the room. Put up the baby gate, but leave the door open. It sounds horrible that I had to "lock" her in her room, but it worked so I'm not going to apologize to anyone (not even myself). That way she wont be able to get out of the room, but she knows you're not just leaving her alone. If she immediately jumps out of bed and cries/screams, leave and let her do it for about 20 minutes or so. If you wait too long she will make herself throw up and then you'll have a whole other mess to clean up. Go back up, don't talk to her, don't make eye contact. Just put her back in bed, give her a kiss and then linger in the room once more. She knows you're there so she wont get back out. Stand just outside the gate for a while. She will calm herself down. Then leave her alone.

Saturday I threw up so much that by the end of the afternoon Charlotte was pretend throwing up in the toilet which would have made me laugh if I hadn't felt so sick. Then Sunday it was like the clouds broke and the storm lifted. I didn't get sick feeling even once. It was amazing and I loved it. Let's keep our fingers crossed that today goes more like Sunday.

Anybody got any good fall type activities to do with almost 2 year olds? This morning we went to the park, but it's overcast and windy now so my guess is it'll be raining this afternoon. Perhaps we'll do pudding finger painting. If you've got any other ideas send them my way. My mom already gets credit for pumpkin coloring/painting which I'm sure we'll do by the end of the week.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

I'm sorry you were so sick on Saturday! I had no idea! Although even if I had known, there's not much I could have done. I can just hope for you that today is always better than Saturday!

And I'm glad to hear that things with the crib are going better as well.

KevandChels said...

I feel your pain trying to get your chil' to sleep! We are going to have to detox after 10 weeks away from home...yep, we're not back yet but will be in a week and two days! Woohoo! Hope you're feeling better. Let us know if we can take Charlotte for a morning or afternoon sometime. Seriously:)