Monday, April 13, 2009

Baby'd Out

Last Saturday was Greg's baby shower. It was amazing, relaxing, and a lot of fun. I ate and ate and ate and I talked. What do women talk about at baby showers? Labor, delivery, newborns, toddlers, potty training, spit up. I decided to just take the plunge and enjoy the conversation for what it was, which I consider group therapy. I enjoyed hearing the different stories, opinions, and dilemmas each woman had faced or faces with regard to their children. It was a great couple of hours spent talking about nothing but babies.

Then we went to a friend's house for Easter dinner on Sunday. One of the other women there hadn't been to the shower, but she's just into her second trimester with her first baby so of course the conversation (with the women) circled around to topic of babies and motherhood. It was interesting and reassuring to hear about the struggle that all of us have between loving motherhood and being a mom and wanting to do other things with our time and talents. I personally think that every woman who chooses to be a mom has to face that struggle and the guilt you will feel any which way you make your decision.

Although I thoroughly enjoyed myself in both sessions of mommy conversation, I have to admit that this morning, when I got up, I realized that I'm a bit tired of talking about babies and being a mom. It's cathartic to be able to get together and talk about those things, but I'm glad that the group therapy is over. I'd like to get back to talking about other (perhaps more interesting?) things with my friends. Then I wonder what exactly is it that I talk with them about?

So my question to you is, do you ever feel like you've had enough kid time? If you have no kids (or even if you do I guess), do you ever wish your friends with kids didn't talk about them so much? What would you rather talk about instead?

2 comments:

Dan's mom said...

Bob the Trainer says he saves all his best kid stories to share with me because he says I understand & appreciate them. So while I am walk/running on the treadmill or working with the weight machines/resistance bands, I am hearing stories about his 2 kids - and Cody, his NCAA Div 3 champion high jumper. Some people are just destined to get kid sories forever. I'm one of them. I don't know what other people talk about....

Anonymous said...

Maggie... I just found your blog and am enjoying reading it. Just thought I'd put my two cents in... We don't have kids, but all Carl and I talk about is our dogs and how wonderful and awesome they are. So, if it's not one obsession, it's another. :) Lisa (Nelson)