Thursday, February 23, 2012

Independence

We've started to get the baby stuff out. The kids have loved looking through the jumpers and pjs and onesies and hearing about how they used to wear them and how Lee is going to wear them. My excitement and their excitement blending together has just created so much joy in my heart right now. This morning we spent a half hour looking at baby photos of the kids and talking about what they wore home from the hospital and who picked out what for each of them.

It got me to thinking about when they were babies. Babies are awesome and all consuming and a lot of work and I'm so excited to be getting the chance for another. There was, however, one aspect of babyhood that I was reminded of today by my big kids. There were so many times I just wished there were things they could do for themselves and now they can. Go to the bathroom? Check. Get their own glasses of water? Check. Feed themselves? Check. Climb into the car? Check. Find their own shoes? Well.....

I am always excited when they end up being able to do something on their own. That is until today. Yesterday Charlotte discovered how to turn the light on and off in the fridge. This morning I discovered she also learned the ability to move the temperature settings on the fridge and freezer to "off." While I was in the shower Charlotte discovered the ability to make hot chocolate with marshmallows for herself and Greg. After the shower I discovered her ability to scarily place objects to climb and walk across the kitchen counters. Today Greg discovered he can start the dishwasher on his own. I discovered that there's no way to stop our dishwasher mid cycle even if it's completely empty.

Yes, independence is great, but right now I'm just wishing that they would stop being quite so independent.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the name Lee! Those things that Charlotte and Greg discovered that they can do kind of make me chuckle :)

Dan's mom said...

Their daddy "helped" me by running the dishwasher one day - with regular dishsoap in the dispenser. Needless to say, bubbles came out EVERYWHERE- the sink drains, the garbage disposal, under and around the dishwasher door......took 2 more cycles to clear it out but his heart was in the right place, so now it's a funny memory.

Nurse Graham said...

Sara Ann is dealing with independent kiddos as well. I love reading the stories.