Friday, February 24, 2012

When They're Totally OK

Charlotte started going to a co-op preschool when she was two and a half. I felt nothing but joy over the entire situation. She loved it. I loved it. I never understood what people were talking about when they said they had a hard time sending their kids off to school. With each new step she's taken I've had nervousness about it, but never sadness.

That's why I was so shocked by my response to Greg's first day of his arts and crafts class today. I dropped him off. He was thrilled that they had name badges and made me put his on his back, just like they do for Charlotte at her preschool. He sat in his chair ready and excited. There was a momentary look of terror on his face when I said I was leaving, but after standing outside of the room for five minutes I could hear him excitedly engaged in the classroom. Then I drove home and cried.

What was the difference? I think it's because Greg is still my baby. I don't have anyone younger yet. My baby is growing up and he is OK going to class without me and enjoys the other new kids and teachers. Probably it will be hardest on me whenever I have to send out my last little one to the world than it was for the first. Now that's something I never had thought about before.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Also...this time you are 8 months pregnant...


Just a thought.

Maggie said...

hahaha, yeah that could be contributing

Nurse Graham said...

Yeah, pretty much what Katie said.

Dan's mom said...

I got a very large boquet of red roses on Dan's first day of kindergarten - and a box of kleenex & some dingdongs for the trip home when we dropped him off at OSU the first time. Yeah, you're right.

dad said...

Know the feeling