Thursday, February 15, 2007

In the Mood

Well, it certainly has been nesting central over at my place! On Monday I decided to tackle the bassinet so that it would be completely ready for our little one. This included sanding and painting it and sewing the sheets to cover the mattress pad that I already finished. So I sanded it Monday and Tuesday.

Only after finishing the whole thing did I call and tell my mom about it who asked, "Did you make sure not to inhale any of the paint?" Of course I didn't. I'm an idiot. My baby is going to be brain dead because I probably inhaled lead paint and now we're both going to get cancer and die! But then I told Dan about how nervous I was. He reminded me of the story of the cradle. His aunt had it completely stripped a while back. She even took off the original milk paint (this cradle is now in it's sixth generation of use) and thus infuriated her entire family and her mother took the cradle back from her. So the paint is new. Although I probably shouldn't have sanded it without a mask or something at least it for sure wasn't lead paint. He then said he was surprised that I even did it since he was planning on doing it later that night when he got home. If I had known that I wouldn't have started the project in the first place! How was I supposed to know that? Oh well, there's nothing I can do about it now! Curse my over-eager self!

Then yesterday I painted the cradle with the can of paint that has been sitting on our coffee table for a few weeks now (well probably only just one, but my sense of time is awful right now). When picking out the paint I took my Sweetie with me. I was just going to get white or maybe a creamy white but he said that was too plain. He chose a blue/green white color. It was still from the white category in the store, but when I look at it I think it looks pale blue. I really like it, even though our baby is a girl. I think it's very neutral and pretty looking. What I didn't count on was that I was going to kill my body by spending the day painting the cradle (which I did do in a well ventilated area in our trailer). All the rolling around on the ground, all the up and down lunges to get to the right spots and all the craning my body around was really a work-out and I didn't even realize it! After dinner (which my husband made special for me!) I started to feel not so very good in my back and legs. So then we watched a movie and I really didn't feel good so I took a Tylenol. Then I fell promptly asleep. When I woke up this morning my butt hurt. Every step I took was excruciating pain! What was I thinking?! Lifting the 8 1/2 month pregnant body of mine around up and down all day long really took it's toll on my butt muscles and now I can't walk. Picture it, a woman that is larger than she's ever been in her life. Sort of waddling down the hall wincing in pain with each step. Yeah, I look great right now. I'm at work today and I'm trying my best not to have to walk anywhere. Yes, I admit that this makes me a horrible employee, but moving is really out of the question at this point.

Before work today I sewed both the sheets for the cradle. I had to sew then because the cradle isn't any standard size. I used very gender neutral Winnie-the-Pooh fabric that is too cute for words and now the cradle is complete! Finished! Check that off the list! I sort of want to put it in our bedroom, where it will be once the baby is home. This is so that if she cries in the night she's still close to us. I don't think I'll put it in there yet though because we still have a while to go before the baby gets here. My husband might think I'm crazy. I mentioned last week that he could put the base of the car seat into the car (mostly so it is out of the way, but partly because I'm excited about it) and he reminded me that we do have a month still to go. You can't fight that logic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sister Judy had the cradle stripped & professionally repainted during her possession so the paint is NOT lead-based. The original was milk paint & most of the later layers were oil based enamel, so even if there had been old paint, you would be OK.

Maggie said...

Thanks. There was only an hour or so of panic before Dan reminded me of the stripping process.