Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Worst Winter in Memory

So far this winter has been unbelievably mild. Don't get me wrong, it's been single digits cold with the wind here, but there has been little to no snow. This means that going outside might be a pain, but it's not hard to get around places. All in all it has been what I would call the best winter scenario you could hope for in our part of the world. This winter reminds all the old timers of our little town (of which there are many) about the winter of '48, the worst winter in memory. Apparently during the winter of '48 it snowed so much that the people in our little town were stuck for 3 weeks and they couldn't get into Logan to get food or anything. I've seen pictures of the snowfall during the winter of '48 and let me tell you nobody is exaggerating. The snow went all the way up to the roof line of the houses in town. You may be wondering why this winter of little to no snow has been reminding them of the worst winter ever. Let me tell you. The snow that fell in the winter of '48 came all during March. There was absolutely no snow during Christmas or later until it all came down during one mammoth storm in March. The timing of the snowfall was a new little tidbit in the story that I hadn't heard before a few days ago. Did I mention that my worst fear is going into labor and being forced to have my baby at home/on the road to the hospital because the weather is so bad? We had better not have another winter of '48!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Wow, that is really scary.

Don't worry, all that snow is over here this year. Yuck!