Thursday, February 08, 2007

Make it Do

My husband's motto:

Use it up
Wear it out
Make it do
Or do without

In that frame of mind I would like to announce to everyone how good I feel about FINALLY finishing the stupid laundry bags. Yesterday my mother-in-law came over and helped me get 98% of the way done on the whole project and I'm so glad I had her to help because since attaining my bachelor's degree I have regressed to being unable to do second grade math. Anyway, I finished up this morning (putting in the button holes with my own new sewing machine and have I told you I love it?!) and now they are hanging on the frame that we bought for the old bags two years ago. I feel very good about being able to fix something instead of just buying a new one, even though at one point I did figure it would be easier to just go buy a new one. I like the bags I made better than the ones we bought with the thing too. Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do with the extra pieces of fabric that I cut into and ruined. (I cut them before pre-shrinking them and they each shrunk about half an inch. Did I mention that suddenly I can't do the simplest of tasks right?)

ALSO, we got fabric for the sheets for the cradle. The two pieces of fabric are Winnie the Pooh and so very cute and gender neutral for future use. I'm excited because things finally feel like they're coming together, which, of course, is a good feeling.

My mother-in-law also spotted a remnant of fabric at the store that matches with our current living room stuff so I got it. I think it will make very good pillows for the sofa. When I told my husband my plan his only advice was not to make the pillows too hard. We currently have pillows that my mom gave us when she decided to change her front room. The only problem with them is that they are strictly decorative pillows, which means using them for actual pillows does start to hurt your neck after a while. They are pretty though so I've been using them even though he has always wanted functional pillows. Now maybe we can have both.

Sewing projects that I have fabric for and still have left to do:
  • finish mattress pad cover (it's been almost done with only the Velcro needing to be put on for about a month now)
  • two sheets for the cradle
  • one receiving blanket
  • dust ruffle for the crib
  • pillows for the sofa

I feel like a real pro now! I have multiple projects! My mother would be so proud!

No comments: