Friday, November 07, 2008

Goals for the Week

Last week I felt like I pretty much tanked it the entire week. My daughter was unhappy because Mommy wasn't paying attention to her, at all, I was unhappy because my house was a mess and there was no way I was ever going to dig myself out of it, and there seems to be a huge pile of sewing that tugs at my thoughts and heart to do, but never any time to do it. So this week I made some goals:
  1. Be an awesome, attention giving mother to Charlotte. This means instead of finding activities that would distract her from me to actually find activities that we would enjoy doing together.
  2. Clean this house.
  3. Finish the hand stitching for our tree skirt that I really, really, really want to be able to use this year.

So today I was taking stock of my week. I'd like to flatter myself that I've done pretty darn good on goal number 1. There were a few lapses, but for the most part I've noticed Charlotte is acting out a lot less. That usually means that I'm giving her enough postivie attention that she doesn't need to do bad stuff. Goal 2 has been successfully done well since I had a flurry of activity on Tuesday that nearly killed me on Wednesday. I also feel like I've done a pretty good job of connecting with my friends and helping them out when they need it. (I really hope I'm right on that one because I want to be the kind of friend that people feel comfortable calling for help.) Sadly, have I even touched the tree skirt since Sunday? No. Well, you can't win them all. And Christmas will come and go and be just fine without a tree skirt if I don't get it done.

1 comment:

TRS said...

How old is Charlotte now? If she's too young to play with a sewing board - you know... a picture of a cat or something on a cardboard, with holes punched in it for the child to string yarn through as if stitching - I know I whiled away plenty of time on those as a kid maybe you could give her something to mimic your sewing to occupy her for a few minutes while you hand stitch... tell her she is sewing like mommy.
Maybe cut out a sort of gear shape on a piece of cardboard, and show her how to weave yarn around it - she can pretend she's sewing.

I could be way off - if she's not old enough to have that kind of dexterity.

But kids could be occupied for a good 45 minutes with a jar of buttons in my day.