Thursday, November 20, 2008

Happiness Can Be Bought

I was sort of happy to pull out my maternity clothing from last time and get to wear some of the stuff again. Especially this one blue sweater. It's so comfy, and kinda stylish. I love it. Then I remembered how hard it was to find jeans that fit the length last time. I tried on the two pairs of jeans I wore last time and realized that at some point I must have given up hope of ever finding jeans that fit me.

Determined that just because I am pregnant doesn't mean that I can't find long jeans I went shopping. I went to the maternity store in the mall and tried on, I kid you not, at least 20 pairs of jeans until I found them. My new and favorite pair of jeans that would never leave my body so long as I was going to have to have a huge belly. Then I took a look at the price tag and all hopes were completely shot. Why would the sales lady ever even think of giving me a $210 pair of jeans? A pair of jeans that I would not even wear longer than 6 months max! I'm sure the type of mom that has the money and will spend over $1000 on the phil and teds deluxe double stroller probably doesn't bat an eyelash at a $210 pair of jeans. I'm clearly not that mom. When I told the sales lady there was absolutely no way I was purchasing a $210 pair of jeans, even if it did seem like they were made just for my body, she said, "Well, we do have an in store credit card that you can apply for. Every dollar you spend goes towards in store credit." Needless to say there's no way I'm going into debt for one stinking pair of jeans! I left the store and my spirits were low. Very low.

The next day I went shopping with Daniel to a different mall. Spirits high after a good night's rest I went in confident that I would find what I sought that day. We went to GAP maternity. GAP carries long pants so I should be able to find something there right? WRONG. They do not carry one single long pair of jeans in the maternity section of the store. I don't know why, but this made me feel like a complete mutant who nobody wants to dress. This was the total opposite feeling I had wanted to achieve in my pursuit of a simple pair of jeans.

Then, today, Happiness arrived via the UPS man. My angel of a mother went to GAP maternity online and purchased for me one pair of long maternity jeans in my size. I put them on and they brought a smile to my face and a dance to my feet. And now I know that, sometimes, Happiness can be bought.

5 comments:

Mary Jo said...

I really like Old Navy maternity. Pretty much all of the clothes I wore during my pregnancy are from there. I am 5'10 so I know how hard it is to find long pants!

Behrmans said...

Ok... from everything I have heard about your mom… it sounds like she is a caring, loving and such a giving person. I’m so glad that the two of you are blessed with each other.

TRS said...

Ditto. your parents are very thoughtful and generous in just the right ways.

(between what you and Katie have both shared)
That's so sweet!

Linzi Lou, Samantha Boo, Madi Moo, and Chris too said...

Yeah, my mom would be the one to spend 210 dollars on a good pair of jeans, sometimes I wish I could be like that, others times I am glad I'm not!

Katie said...

Yup. Our mom rocks.