Thursday, July 09, 2009

Behavior Problems

Charlotte is having behavior problems and I've got to do something about it. She's in the "MINE" phase right now and whenever she gets around her friends that are about the same age it always ends up in yelling and tears. She and the other kids feed off each other. I don't care what the other moms do with their kids but I don't want my kid to be yelling, fighting, and crying. At a loss as to what to do about this I called my mom. She gave me good advice and I'm going to implement it and see if it works. I certainly hope it does.

Because if it doesn't mommy's going to need a vacation.

5 comments:

dad said...

Teach Charlotte to biff the other kids on the naugen

Jenny said...

She's two.

Katie said...

Oh, I hope that she didn't learn this game from Garrett and I...

Anonymous said...

Dr. John Rosemond - Making the Terrible Twos Terrific. Go borrow it from the library.

He explains (reminds us) how the two year old mind works. She's learning that she is a "Me" she just figure out that she's autonomous --- but she doesn't know that everyone else is too.

if I remember correctly - he would recommend - not scolding her for the behavior. Just removing her from the situation. Find ways to teach her that the other kids are MEs just like her.

Dan's mom said...

"Mine" is a child's first four letter word - and an important develpomental stage. Like "no", it helps the child develop a sense of an independant self.
I always let the kids have a few things that they didn't have to share unless they chose to do so BUT these things needed to be put away whenever they didn't want to share them. Other things were never just theirs, like craft supplies or games. You can talk about the things other people have shared with Charlotte - like the little baby bed. You can talk about things she already shares like the baby toys. You can repeat the mantra "This is an important develpmental stage.....We will live through it."