Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Lazy Days

My sister mentioned to me a while back about how when she's at church she hears a lot about how being a mom is really hard. Her reaction to that, not yet being a mom herself, is to think gee you're really making that sound like I should run in the other direction. I understand what those women are doing and saying while at church, they are mostly surrounded by other moms and sharing your struggles sometimes lessens them and also other moms might have a tip or two with what you're struggling with. I also think that it's important to watch what you say. Being a mom does have it's challenges, but it also has it's rewards. Too often I find myself putting my focus on my struggles and not my successes.



Like yesterday.



Do you remember when you were little and the summer days just seemed to stretch out before you with endless possibilities? I remember being in the huge backyard of the neighbor's house across the street running through their sprinkler and loving it. It's for that reason actually that I always prefer to buy that type of sprinkler for our lawn.



Getting back to yesterday, I had watched one of Charlotte's little friends in the morning and was just about as exhausted as watching two two-year-olds for about 4.5 hours can get you. After her friend left Charlotte decided she didn't need to take a nap, but boy did she ever. I decided to give up on the productivity I was going to have that day and, remembering my love of running through the sprinkler, I thought I'd try to turn it on and she if she likes it too.



She ran around it a couple of times and then was bored. I was focusing on the challenge before me and not the opportunity. That is until I realized that nobody likes to run through the sprinkler alone so I decided to go out and enjoy the summer and indulge myself. We ran through the sprinkler and around the backyard for about an hour. It was at that point that I was so happy that my daughter had such a full and fun summer day. The type of day that I had and look back on and love.


My favorite thing about being a mom is giving my children moments like yesterday. Moments that she can look back on and say she had joy and love and that her mom liked to be with her and have fun with her. I know she wont remember much of her two year old little self, but I have faith that I'm laying the foundations of future awesomeness.


7 comments:

Nurse Graham said...

Definitely foundation of future awesomeness. Keep up the good work.

Mindy said...

I love that story. I can just see the two of you prancing around in your little backyard rain shower. Charlotte will love you for giving her moments like those, especially because she can count on you to keep on giving them. You are such an awesome mom...an inspiration to me to always have fun with my boy, and to strive to be creative in activities with him, and while problem solving. Definitely awesomeness.

Mindy said...

Also, being a mom IS hard. The last nine months have been the most trying months of my life. To be honest, there have been some days when I wish I had run screaming the other direction.

But being a parent has also made me into a better person. I am living for someone else who is 100% dependent on me, and I have had to learn what sacrifice really is. And I know a different joy than I knew before. I wouldn't trade it for anything, and I definitely wouldn't go back. It's hard, but worth it in every single way.

Katie said...

Your grass is looking great!

dad said...

Good Mom

Dan's mom said...

Sometimes as a mom, you need to redefine productivity. You created memories and a sense of togethreness and love which will last far longer than a swept floor, a dinner or even a project. When Dan's dad was in med school & residnecy, I tried to find activities & adventures to have together (no or low caost ones) and Heather & Nate have both said that now they know we were "poor" back than but they never felt like they were poor. Those were some of the best compliments I have ever received.

dan's dad said...

You brought a tear to my eye. Yes, you are building the most important foundation we have- a mother's love passed on and on and on.
And I too remember those endless summer days when all seemed right with the world. It's interesting that as one realizes those summer days are finite in number, one once again longs to take FULL advantage of each and everyone.