Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Because it was her turn

After I had already moved out of the house my mom got a call one day from her mom.  Grandma asked her about how she was doing and where she was driving for work and about all the details of her life that you can't see when you live states apart.  The questions must have been more probative than usual because Mom asked why Grandma was asking so many and Grandma said she was worried about her.  Mom had no big worries going on in her life so she was confused as to why her mom would be worried about her.  So when Mom questioned her why she was worried Grandma said, "because it was just your turn."

We all worry about our kids sometimes and this past three weeks its been Charlotte's turn.  Remember when I told you about her breathing, well it never got better.  It just stayed.  She would try to run with her friend to school in the morning and have to stop in a fit of coughing.  I could hear her down in her bed at all hours of the night waking up to cough.  You could always tellshe was inthe room with you because of the rattle and wheeze coming out of her chest.  She had no energy as a result and seemed quite unhappy.  So I worried.

I worried enough to get Dan's attention, which is saying something. Yesterday while gardening I hit my ankle on a large decorative rock and it hurt soooo bad.  When I told Dan I was needing sympathy for it, knowing it was minor and didn't "need" anything, what did he do?  He took the ankle and pushed hard on the bruised spot!  That is the opposite of sympathy I tell you.  So anyway, Charlotte's state finally got his attention he decided to try putting her on Claritin.

We tried Claritin and Zyrtec for a total of a little over a week with zero change in anything.  It was very frustrating.  So then he decided that the next step they would do in her doctor's office would be to try a short term inhaler plus short term anti-inflamitories.  At this point I became his worst nightmare type of patient parent.  You know the kind that is super worried, wants the answers to their kid's problems NOW, but then second guess whatever the doctor says?  I mean I want the problems to stop but do we really need to put her on steriods?  I warned Dan this was happening and that it wasn't about him it was just my turn to worry about Charlotte and he seemed to deal with me just fine.

We started her on everything Monday night and by Tuesday morning she seemed totally fine!  Like miracle fine.  Zero rattle in her chest, renewed energy from a full night of sleep, and getting ready for school Tuesday morning was more pleasant than it had been in weeks.  

So apparently the diagnosis of allergy induced asthma that we had been trying to avoid for years now was the correct one.  Today I am so grateful for effective medications you have no idea!  It is no longer Charlotte's turn to be worried about.  I wonder who will be next.

1 comment:

Dan's mom said...

The "pushing on the sore spot" is why the kids always had me take their splinters, etc. The pushing is diagnostic - but painful. Craig still has no idea how much pressure he is using when he probes with his fingers - I think it is a secret technique they learn in med school (or on the ranch in his case-)I'm glad Charlotte is doing better. Her cousin Katelyn wound up with allergy induced asthma, too.