Thursday, May 16, 2013

Taking Care of the Inbetween

So I asked whose turn it would be for me to worry about next on the last post, but lets be honest, I already knew.  I already knew because the concern was there bubbling just below the other one so when the top one popped there was the other worry confidently located just below.

That other worry is Greg.  And it isn't a worry about him so much as it is about me.  I worry that he gets overlooked.  He isn't the first so I sort of know when something turned out to not be a big deal last time and he isn't last so he doesn't need me as much as Lee.  I never saw the middle child predicament before, but lately I worry that poor kid is slipping through the cracks. He is such an amazing kid and I want him to know he has a valued place in our family.

So here's the question for everyone, how do you make sure that your "middlest" child gets the attention they want and need?

4 comments:

Nurse Graham said...

Have even number so there is no middle. :)

FWIW Dave is a middle kid and when we talk about stereotypes of middle children, he states he never felt like a middle kid. He didn't feel overlooked or undervalued. His parents were diligent in noticing his accomplishments, giving him room to do his own thing, etc. Now, his older brother was pretty bossy and pushy, but I think that helped Dave develop his competitive nature and desire to always do his best. When we have been able to spend time with you, I think you do a great job recognizing Greg and his accomplishments. And I think you have equally represented him on your blog, etc. Don't worry. You are doing a great job.

Dan's mom said...

He's the first boy - his own first! Just don't let anyone tell him about "middle child syndrome" -There is always something to worry about but I don't think you are having a problem with this. Besides, I think Greg holds his own very well & he has learned to "pick his times/battles". You have great kids & you are a great mom.

R said...

Ya I agree with what's been said. You are a great mom. Greg is a great kid. He'll be fine. He seems to get more attention to me just by the fact he articulates so well for his age and is an inquisitive cute kid. What do people do when there are 5 middle kids, like the Freis? They seem ok.. Even if you were the "perfect" mom, relationships are complicated and its ok. You are a great example to me of so many things you do as a mom.

Anonymous said...

He looks and acts like a happy boy! So, don't turn into a professional. You are a GREAT mom!!! g-Jane