Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Winning isn't everything

It's finally gotten warm enough that when Lee kicks and screams and rolls away when trying to dress him Dan and I simply let him roll and run around naked for a while. I know it's dangerous to let a small child run without a diaper, but all of my children have enjoyed nakie time so much I can't help but let them have a bit of it.  Plus also the other two have independently decided that nakie time is no longer for them.  Good move on their parts, but sad because I miss the joy that it brings into the home.

The last sunny non-windy day was ages ago (last week) and during that day he ran onto the deck fully naked and basked in the glow of the late afternoon sun on his little body.  He splashed in the small tub of water put out for him and generally took joy in all that his body can feel and do.

That led me to the question at what point do we stop taking joy in how our bodies feel and all they can do and start to see what they can't do and how they look?  At what point do we stop running because its fun to run with the wind and start running to beat someone else?  Or stop all together because we can't beat someone else?  At what point do we start to notice how we look instead of how we feel?

Charlotte is going to start violin lessons soon in the Suzuki method and so I've been reading a few books written about the method and applying it to my children.  There has been one line of one of the books that has truly stuck with me.  That in Suzuki you try to teach the children that the world isn't full of people you need to compete with but with people that you can cooperate with.  Somehow that idea has just stuck in my brain.  Not that I'm against competition, there is certainly a place for it.  Not everyone can have every job.  But the competition that I see as best is the one you have with yourself that propels you to being a better you.  Additionally I think there are very few times when
competition in life is necessary and music truly isn't one of them.  Yes there can only be one first
chair, but that one person can't make the music by themselves.  The beauty and joy from life come from working with and enjoying the music from any seat.  All the people are valuable.  There are so very many times we end up pushing our children to win. Win! Win! Win! Yes, winning is fun, but if what you're doing isn't fun unless you win then maybe you should try something else.

Like running in the wind or feeling the sun on your face or splashing in the tub of water.  I hear those things are excellent.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

I SO Badly want to teach Gunner this. Winning is so important to him, and I think he's going to have a very hard time in any team-work/social-togetherness events until he can understand that it's okay not to win every time. I'm trying to teach him that it's more important to enjoy yourself, try your best, and to be happy for the person who won.

It's so hard! You are so great about helping your kids enjoy themselves and their talents and abilities. Your happy children make it obvious that the enjoyment of life is important to you. I really admire that about you and your parenting.