Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Here comes the Sun

With the season changes and the ever increasing light a few things of my rhythm are off.  The first one is dinner.  I can never seem to get dinner at the right time.  Every day it's all the sudden six o'clock and I have nothing started, I have nothing planned, I have (practically) nothing in the cupboards either.  Well that last part isn't true, it's just that the stuff I have will take time to make. We've been eating a lot of eggs lately.  But who doesn't love a good egg am I right?  Hmm, maybe I need to rethink my approach there.

The other change is that I seem to be waking up with the sunrise.  I have no reason to be up at or before 6 am, but my body says it must.  So here I am.  It is quiet and beautiful.  Just about every morning (aside from that awful two days of snow last week) has a great sunrise. I make my bed and creep about the hour careful to not make a noise.

 I love the quiet and I would just sit here as long as I could except for my day keeps calling to me.  Get a move on, it says.  You need to get somethings done before the kids get up!  Breakfast! Laundry! Backpack! Grocery list!  Don't forget all the bills you have to pay!  You should do that with this little episode of quiet!

But instead I take a minute to sit and be still.  I love my minute (or 15 or 20) of stillness.  I used to get that time of stillness and quiet with my kids.  They would come and pile into bed with me and we'd slowly wake up together.  Pretty soon there was wiggling and squirming and then we'd read and sing and then, after all that we'd get up and start our days together.  I'm pretty sure kindergarten killed that one.

I don't have that golden moment anymore.  But I do have this one.  This moment of stillness and peace before the baby starts to cry and before Greg's "quiet" trip to the bathroom that I can hear throughout the house.  This moment is where I am reminded that the day is so beautiful (even if it isn't) and to go and enjoy it.

Enjoy.
This photo has nothing to do with anything. I just liked to watch her from  the kitchen.  She looks ready to capture all the good I the world and I love it.

3 comments:

Linzi Lou, Samantha Boo, Madi Moo, and Chris too said...

My mind says I am up to at this hour- silly baby waking me up 3 times in a row within the hour will do that! As for eggs, we had them 2 of the past 4 nights. I have a great quiche recipe if you'd like!
Way to enjoy the stillness. I am still in the angry that I am awake right now phase!

Maggie said...

I have the hate to be up days too, but my babies are a bit older and sleeping through the night now so mornings aren't so difficult. I'd love a great quiche recipe. You should email it to me

Dan's mom said...

I've always been a morning person, so I often took that quiet time for granted. I hope you can come you enjoy those fleeting moments of peace & stillness. Sautéed leeks & asparagus is a great quiche or frittata combination & a way to introduce asparagus to your kids - their cousins Kaylene & little Michael LOVE it (the asparagus but they ate the frittata, too.)