Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Mary's Peak

Our meeting time for church moved to 9:30 am. This is actually really good because it gets me up and going on Sunday, which I decided I like. Last Sunday my husband and I went to church and then afterward I wanted to go to the coast. I kinda begged until he gave in. I packed us a great lunch of hard boiled eggs, apple cut in rings, cheese, and ritz crackers. Yummy! When we got in the car we decided that driving would take too long for not enough fun time (plus the big grey clouds in the west looked kinda bad.) We (and by we I really mean Dan) decided to go to Mary's Peak. This is a state park located about 40 minutes from our home. The whole top of the hill was covered in clouds, but it looked like it would be some foggy fun so we decided to head up anyway. On the way there I noticed how AMAZINGLY beautiful it is in Oregon. I know I complain about the rain, but it is just gorgeous! I thought it was funny that all the trees that had lost their leaves were still green because of all the lichen on them. I just realized how many greens there are in our part of the world.

Well we got to Mary's Peak but the road to the summit stops about 4 miles from the top. We decided to get out and walk to the top (which was posted as being ok all year round.) Once we reached the first bend after the gate we ran into snow! We walked right from fall into winter! It was so much fun. Well, it wasn't really winter because everything was green beneath the snow.

Since there wasn't anybody else around we had a snowball fight and Dan almost dunked my head into a little stream. (Not really he stopped about half a foot from the water.) When we reached Parker falls we stopped and sat on a guard rail and ate our lunch. While we were eating, a group of guys walked down the hill and this old couple walked up to the falls looked at them and then turned around. They were walking hand in hand. I hope we still do things like that when we're old. We decided that we would leave the peak for another day and walked back to autumn, and our car. I realized how much I love my husband. He is my best friend and I'm glad I can have an amazing afternoon with him just walking up a snowy hill.

The only sad thing is that I don't own a camera (digital or other). I used to own one, but it got stolen out of my car and I'm too cheap to buy one for myself. You will all just have to imagine the glorious place.

1 comment:

k said...

I’ve been starting think of the pros and cons of the grad schools I applied to (I am horrible at making decisions so hopefully it will be easier if I get a jump on it!) and one of my pros for going to school at Oregon State is that will be so much new stuff, like Mary’s Peak, to explore. You definitely should take a winter trip to the coast soon though, so much fun!