Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Maybe Later

I love you forever, but right now the dishes are dirty.
I love you forever--my homework needs to be done.
Forever and ever, but if I don't sleep right now I'll cry.

I love you forever, but you're really busy.
I love you forever--three meetings in one night?
Forever and ever and I hope I'll see you soon.

I love you forever, but now is not the time
I love you forever, but there's so much to be done
Forever and ever. Maybe later.



I realize that loving someone forever doesn't mean that love is constant. Love will ebb and flow naturally and trying to force it to stay high all the time is not only impossible, but a waste of time. There's nothing wrong with the bend, just so long as you know it will flow back later. Right now there's a lot to be done and I find that my attention and also my husband's attention needs to be on other things. I know he loves me. He'll pass out on the sofa like he did during the lunch break today and not get to really say a word to me, but still I know he loves me. There's not much time to show him that now. Maybe later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just reflect on Mary and Martha and remember that many of the things that keep us busy are always with us - the will wait. Don't let them keep you from experiencing moments that will only come once.