Thursday, September 20, 2007

Differences

Lately I have been discovering many differences between my husband and myself. Mostly I think these are funny and interesting. Here are a few:

I was measuring something to sew and I only wanted to round the measurements to the nearest 1/8 inch where the math came out 3/16. I told him I was rounding it and he said, "You can't build a house off 3/16 an inch." And I thought I was picky about being exact!

Last week, just after I had changed the sheets my husband asked, "How often do you change the sheets?" I just had to laugh when I told him, "We've been married for two years and you haven't noticed that I change the sheets once a week?" We both had a good laugh over that one.

The creative process is so much different between the two of us. My husband's process is completely inside of himself. He loves to create things, all on his own. I am the opposite where I love to have the creative process be collaborative. I know I have some ideas, but they get so much more defined and refined when I share them with others. Also, when others share their input I think it gets so much better.

My husband is so great at understanding this difference. He will always be my collaborator when I want one with my projects. Keep in mind that most of my projects include sewing. He is so awesome. Although he does tend to want gingham and plaid, for everything.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the gingham thing but you have his baby quilt. It was part of his "pre-fluffing" if you know what I mean. At least he KNOWS about sewing!

Anonymous said...

Funny.
I'm sewing a baby gift for a shower this weekend... and had to make my own patterns based on the finished project I found on Disdressed.blogspot...

So anyway, I was trying to account for two seam allowances while creating the pattern so I asked my engineer boyfriend... "what is 5/8ths ... twice?"

He's so cute. He verbally went through the conversions to get to the answer.

Me. "So an inch and a quarter? Okay. Got it!"

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Maybe that is why I don't sew. I don't have the eye for detail. When I scrapbook, I deliberately off center or tilt everything (especially letters) so I don't have to fuss about making it all even.