Monday, September 03, 2007

Red Delicious

In case you didn't grow up in the apple state permit me to let you in on a little secret: Red Delicious apples are the worst kind of apple you could buy or snack on ever. If anyone tries to tell you that they love red delicious apples, they just haven't had any other kind before. Let me introduce you to the braeburn:





Or perhaps the gala:


Or really my favorite the pink lady:

I'm only showing you these three because they are my personal favorites, there are many, many different kinds of apples out there.







This little fact makes me think that there's got to be the same type of thing out there with all kinds of fruit that I don't know about. What about bananas I only know of two types, the regular yellow type and the plantain. Are there others? Would anyone recommend a different type than the classic yellow banana? What about oranges? Are navel oranges really the best type of orange? What I would really like to know about is grapes. After learning a tiny bit about viticulture I know there are about a bazillion types of grapes and the ones I usually buy in the grocery store don't really cut the mustard as far as fruit snacking is concerned. Any ideas on what the best type of grape is? How can I get my hands on them?


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nate said there were many kinds of bananas sold in Brasil... he liked the small red ones the best. They were always very sweet. He also liked jack fruit and several other kinds of fruit we never see because they don't ship well. Red Flame grapes are quite good for snacking but watch out for some small seeds even though they are sold as seedless.
PS- Dan had the fewest home haircuts growing up so his brothers probably think he is due for them. His hair has alway looked fine when we've seen him these last 2 years.

Heather said...

Those are my three favorite apples as well! Mmm, I love to snack on crisp apples!
All I know about oranges, is that my family's orange tree produces an orange with a very thick, tough skin and the most delicious, juicy fruit inside! (I grew up eating AZ oranges, and I find they are the best I have ever had, California ones aren't as good, but I don't think AZ ships to any other states.)
As to grapes, I find I like the bigger grapes better, they're usually more "crunchy" that way. My favorite that I've ever had were a bluish color with big seeds in them and they were huge! We saw some plums at Costco the other day and I told Matt these are my favorite grapes! and he said except those are plums. So, I'm sure you can find them, and the vine part should give away that they're grapes not plums.

The Barkers said...

My favorite apples:

Fuji and Cameo!!!

Maggie said...

The fuji and the cameo are also good apples for snacking on. I think I like the pink lady so much because it's really sweet.

Katie said...

I like the fuji the best.

Garrett bought a red delicious this weekend. I had a bite and it was so mealy and gross that I actually spit it out.

We are such apple snobs!

Nemesis said...

I'm with you on Braeburns and Gala. I think I had a bad Pink Lady. I'm glad people are with me on the Fujis.

Also, biting into a mushy apple is one of the worst surprises in life, I think. And yes, I'm a really big baby.

Anonymous said...

I like red apples best....but NOT red delicious they are mealy and barely have any flavor. well i am not sure i remember--its been so long since i have voluntarily eaten one! i really want to try pink lady i recently heard of them but i havent been able to get my hands on one yet. i love gala and braeburn...mcintoshes are really delicious when theyre good ones (which they arent always)