Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A New Project

So for a while now I've been working on a new project that I've been reluctant to let out of the bag. I'm just so excited about it that I don't want to let fly into the unknown and then get rained on and me be sad. Well, I'm going to take the leap tonight.

I decided that I'm going to sew my own baby/little girl dresses and sell them. I decided this because I went to a children's boutique here a few weeks back and was shocked to see the prices on baby clothing that I knew I could make just as well for a whole lot less money. Ever since I committed myself to the idea it's pretty much taken hold of me. I take this as a good sign. I came up with a design that seems really cute to me and I love it. Now I'm stuck. For the past three nights I've been unable to sleep because I need to chose fabric and accents for the first dress. I have so many ideas and I just don't know what I want to do. Then it's a matter of matching my ideas to my available materials. I lay in bed just thinking about what is a good idea and what isn't and how I'm going to get things done. I have found that planning things takes much longer than actually doing them.

Another thing is in the past few days my eyes have been opened to the seemingly limitless possibilities of fabric that can be found at the click of a button. What to do, what to do. So now it's 11 pm, my husband went to bed a half hour ago, my baby went to bed 4 hours ago and she will get me up at 6 am whether I spend more time at this computer or not. I really should go to bed. Charlotte and I have a big day tomorrow at the Botanical Gardens. Plus, with this cough that she has now developed I know I wont sleep very well tonight. I should get to bed now so that I can jump start my sleeping. I can't though. I know if I go to bed I'll just lay there......thinking.

This really should be an easy decision. It's not like it's going to be the only dress I make. I should just go ahead and chose one and then move on to the next. It's just that I want to chose the best one. I want to fall in love with the one that I'm making and not think that I could do better.

Well, there it is. My new project. I am so excited!

9 comments:

Heather said...

I'm so excited for you Maggie. I hope everything turns out great. And if I was having a girl I would buy one of your dresses for sure!

Maggie said...

I was just thinking about all my friends with babies the other day. I realized that they're all boys! Hope things are going well for you!

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Projects keep us going. It sounds great. Thanks also for the gardening idea on my blog. My husband (Plantboy) is actually a horticulturist and has said before, "I've never been able to figure out why the enrichment groups have never asked me to teach a gardening class." Now may be his big chance! I don't think you are alone in the not gardening thing, and container gardening is certainly tricky. There are probably some really excellent books and/or websites on the subject. I'll ask plantboy if he knows any specific ones.

Maggie said...

STM-Thanks! That'd be great! I'd really like to know what resources I need.

Anth said...

Sounds like a great idea. Are you going to get an etsy store?

Maggie said...

Yeah, etsy looks like the best place to start this whole thing.

Brittany said...

I think that's so fun and smart that you are going to make baby dresses! I agree with you- you go into these stores that have the cutest dresses, but they are always so expensive! Who wants to spend a ton on a dress that their baby is going to grow out of in a few months? Oh, and, you're baby is sooo cute!

Maggie said...

Brittany-
Yeah, I hope my dresses can go under the cute and affordable label. We'll see I guess. I think your baby is really cute too! Have you heard anything about Ezra? Is he still in the NICU or out? I figure you being family and all you'd know better than I.

Brittany said...

Let me know when you start selling them! I haven't heard anything new on Ezra. News doesn't travel quite as to us out here in California sometimes.. Last I heard he could be in there until his due date, but now that I think he's breathing on his own, I'm not sure what the status is. Hopefully they will get to take him home soon!