Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Close Call

This morning my daughter started to cry to get up for the day at 6:50 AM. This is 25 minutes before her usual 7:15 AM get up for the day time. That was the first thing off that I noticed. The second was that my bedroom door was shut. Daniel always kisses me goodbye in the morning before he leaves. I'm mostly asleep when he does it, but I like that he does it anyway. It's important and he does it EVERY day. With the door shut it means Daniel never kissed me goodbye this morning. That's so weird. Then I noticed that he had left the kitchen light on. At that point I was a little annoyed thinking that the kitchen light is what woke Charlotte up early. Then I went and got her up.

Then I noticed that the lights were still on upstairs. Dan would never leave for the day with all the lights on. Something was wrong. So I looked around. His backpack was still next to the sofa. So I called his name.

No reply.

Little bells of worry started to go off in my mind. Where was Dan? Why had he left the lights on and his stuff at home? I went to the back door to the stairs to the basement. Dan had left it unlocked! He never does that! He wants to make sure that nobody could get into the house with his sleeping wife and daughter after he left. Something was seriously wrong. Where is my husband? Is he OK? What if something happened to my Sweetie?

I went down the stairs with near panic in my heart. I got to the bottom of the stairs just far enough to see that the board to our basement door was still in place. So where is my husband?! Then I heard a noise in the basement. I scurried upstairs because what if the killer was still in the basement? I couldn't have him getting to my baby. I thought I'd call Daniel's cell phone to locate him so that he could calm my fears and let me know he wasn't killed. I dialed and then his phone rang,

in our bedroom.

It wasn't on him! What should I do? Should I wake up our neighbors to help me look in the basement? No, I couldn't do that. With all this worry I decided that I would do what any responsible adult would do....

I called my mom.

She told me to go down and look in the basement and she'd stay on the line. So I went downstairs and called his name. I jumped and screamed just a little bit when he appeared from behind the sheet where our belongings are stored. He was simply trying to fix his bike before going to school. He wasn't dead. Oh good, another disaster averted.

5 comments:

Corey Moser said...

It is funny how our mind works, so early in the morning. I'm glad everything was okay.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you found Dan & everything was OK. Those times are really scary - I think I told you about the time when Craig was in residency that I found the kitchen lights on at 1AM . Turned out to be Michael on top of the refrigerator, eating Twinkies; it took me 3 trips to the kitchen to find him though & Craig was at the hospital that night. Aren't cell phones handy - you can get mom anywhere.

Katie said...

Hilarious.

That just goes to show that you should never wake up early.

Anth said...

Ha ha That sounds exactly like something I would do.

And I agree with Katie. :)

Maggie said...

Well I'm glad that other people think that 7 AM is early in the morning! Since Dan get's up at 5:30 and my parents get up fairly early I've been feeling like I should start getting up earlier. Then I realize there's no need to get up that early, turn over, and go back to sleep.

LeAnn-That would scare me so bad! Especially if I had no way to get a hold of my husband (or mom).