Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Medical Exchange

Why is it that the only times I really feel like I need to call my pediatrician are either late in the night or on Wednesdays, which also happen to be when the office is closed? Turns out that for most of those situations, not calling ended up being the best mode of action because time worked everything out just fine.

Not today.

Today was my first time in almost three years (can you believe that Charlotte is almost three?) that I've felt the need to call the medical exchange. The medical exchange is a very good thing because they'll connect you with your doctor or another doctor in the group that will answer your urgent questions. Today I had an urgent question.

Don't ask me why or how this happened, but somehow Charlotte's left over mini wheats ended up in the hands of Gregory. When I had seen that this happened, I didn't worry because I figured they were pretty soggy and he wouldn't choke. Then I looked a little closer and noticed that not only was he eating them, he was rubbing them all over his face. Or was it trying to wipe them off his face? I wasn't sure. I picked him up and went to wash his face off when I noticed red blotchy skin everywhere the milk had touched him. I wasn't too worried at first, but I decided to give him a bath and call Daniel. Dan didn't answer his phone. While Greg was in the tub his face went slightly puffy and bumpy. Meanwhile he's trying to wipe any and everything off his face and his eyes are going pink. I could tell that if he could talk he would be saying, "Get it off! Get it off!"

So I called the medical exchange. Greg wasn't having any trouble breathing so his pediatrician just told me to give him a half teaspoon of benedryl. I did and he ended up being fine, but it looks like he may need to do a little allergy testing sometime in his future.

6 comments:

Nurse Graham said...

Yep, allergy testing time. Those first allergy reactions can be quite scary! Benadryl is almost a wonder drug.

PS. I know you were a food science major and a total foodie, but if you need any help with a "wheat-free" diet, I might be able to be of assistance.

Maggie said...

Thanks! I've had enough education to know that I don't know enough.

TRS said...

Ugh! Hives are lousy!!! I speak from experience. But for the most part manageable. Now you know.

Good luck!

Nurse Graham said...

I know you guys don't eat out that often, but FYI, McDonald's uses wheat in their french fry/chicken nugget oil. Why? I have no idea. Just an FYI in case it turns out Greggie has a wheat allergy.

Sorry for commenting again.

Dan's mom said...

Greg's Uncle Michael turned all red & threw up when he was first introduced to milk products - when he was given ice cream or yogurt while he was under 6 mo. The doctor had me introduce milk by mixing his cereal with powdered milk at twice normal dilution (one box lasts a LONG time that way) and gradually working up to whole milk. By the time he was weaned at a year, he was fine with milk but that history is in there. Heather's wheat allergy appeared in her 30's so don't overlook a sensitivity to milk proteins as the "bad guy" here. Glad he's doing fine - just don't let Grandpa feed him ice cream until this is sorted out. I think McDonald's uses the flour as a flavor enhancer to get a toasty flavor in the fries, by the way.

Maggie said...

I'm so glad you told me about that because I tried to feed Greg a bottle the other day and he threw up the whole thing again. Now I have more information to tell his doctor on Thursday.