Monday, February 22, 2010

A New Phase

Charlotte has entered on a new phase of life (read: trying to get her way). She has started completely melting down everytime she doesn't get her way. It isn't the angry shrieking. It's the heartbroken sobs. Sometimes she just starts crying for no reason I can decipher and I don't know how to help her (read: make it stop!).

Yesterday was our first trip to church without Daddy and boy did she take advantage of it. I had to pull her out of the chapel no less than 5 times in a one hour period.

Also, she gets inordinately angry when another child does something that she doesn't like. Apparently she is the boss of her world and anyone just living in it is ruining everything.

I'm at a loss. And also at the end of caring. This too shall pass, right? Right?!

2 comments:

TRS said...

I can't hear you / understand you when you are crying. If you need to tell me something, you'll have to wait until you're done crying.

Janelle Dobson said...

This is the second blog post I've read about this today- I'm guessing its because you are nearing age 3 (which is SO much harder than age 2), and its the end of February and we ALL have a serious case of cabin fever. Here are some tips I gave my other friend, and things I happy to remind myself of, almost hourly at times (and please forgive the long-windedness). Lynette and I struggled for a couple months with really similar stuff- at this age it is all about control. Some days I did okay with it, but many of them I felt like a failure. The good news is- like all phases, this too shall pass but there are things you can do to help it go a bit smoother. You are the mom and are in charge and she needs to understand that, but to help her feel her own autonomy and self esteem give her choices whenever you can. When she throws tantrums as calmly as you can put her in time-out until she can calm herself down. Give yourself your own time-outs to calm yourself down and when you are calm, give her hugs and loves and try again. When all else fails just chant to yourself "its just a phase..its just a phase...its just a phase