Monday, February 01, 2010

Inspiration

There was a very rude lady bagging groceries in the lane next to mine today. Because of what she said about me I was very embarrassed.

It has taught me to be a little more patient with people and with waiting my turn in line. And also that when I'm past this phase in my life, I will try my best to remember what this phase was like. I will try to always be the woman that stops to tell young mothers how beautiful their kids are. I will tell women who are nine months pregnant that they look tiny. When I'm in the grocery store I will stand behind the young mom, who is trying to go her fastest and get her child home to nap time, which he sorely needs. I will make cute faces at that child and play with that child and get that child to smile. Because as we all know, smiling babies make the world a better place.

5 comments:

Jenn said...

I have no idea what the woman said to you, but just ignore her. Don't let her get you down. Seriously! I know that's easier said than done, right? Now, I don't want to try to make excuses for the woman, but she was probably having a bad day or she wasn't brought up in a loving home. Know what I mean?

In my experience, this town has the most rude people I've ever encountered. I know you came from a friendly small town and I came from the good ol' hospitable south. Everyone used manners and complete strangers were my best friends. I guess that's why they say there's just no place like home.

I get so irritated and upset every time I go out these days. I can't go to the grocery store without someone running me over with their cart, cutting in line, jumping in front of me as I reach for the peanut butter and then standing there for 5 minutes like I don't exist forcing me to wait on them. Ugh!!! This town!!!

I'm sorry the woman was rude to you. My guess is that she has enough problems of her own and she wanted to try to bring someone else down with her. Just remember that what goes around comes around. Hope it won't bite her in the butt too badly. LOL!

Hold your head high and be proud of yourself. You're doing a wonderful job with one of the most challenging jobs ever. Hang in there!



Love,
Your kid-less, but still patient and respectful friend


PS. 1 Cor. 13:4-13 defines love. My guess is that this woman wasn't speaking out of love.

Mindy said...

It was the woman who was bagging the groceries? Did she work at the grocery store? If so, I am very surprised to her that an employee said something rude about a customer. I may even take it up with the manager.

And Amen to what Jenn said. You're awesome. And that lady was crap.

TRS said...

Mean lady! Boo.

I usually try to engage the kids ... coax a smile out of the little ones or ask a three year old about her dress or her shoes - or what mommy is buying for her.

Sometimes I worry that momma's think I'm a freak. Glad to know I may just be a moment of relief in their day!!!

dad said...

People will surprise you. When someone is rude to me I smile and give back a little chuckle. I've even been known to blow them a little KISS. It plays with their brain which by the way obviously needs some playtime.

Mrs. Architect said...

I just LOVE y'alls dad. :o) His comment cracked me up! I think I might try his tactics!

I can barely get through the checkout line in one piece sometimes and I dont have kids! I cannot even imgaine! HUGS!