Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Special Occasion Speech

Well, this week's assignment in my public speaking class is to write and give a 4 minute special occasion speech. It could be for any occasion and any person. Although it does not nearly do her justice here's my speech.

Occasion: Mother's Day Toast
Person: My mom

There are those for whom a simple thank you would never be enough, and yet that is all they ask for. They have a seemingly inexhaustible source of strength, giving, and love. The true glory that is held in that person perceived through the thankful eyes of those blessed by them shines like a beacon. In my experience there have been very few of these pillars, yet when examining the framework of my life those people have held up my roof of dreams.

Alongside my daddy, my mom is one of the pillars in my life. It seems as though I could never do enough or give enough accolades to her to really convey her awesome beauty. My mother seems to have accomplished quite gracefully what many women today see as impossible. She was and is a mom that works. This is precisely how I have always perceived her role in the family. Her job was never her career, it was a way for her to bless her children’s lives. With all the demands on her time, I never really registered that perhaps she could be doing something other than being with me. When I was little she was at every school concert and show. She was a frequent mom on field trips and I learned to love the zoo from her. Looking at today’s society I wonder to myself–how did she do it?

My mom has always taught me the potential that I hold. Growing up my sister and myself would always get dolls for presents. Alongside these would always be telescopes, microscopes, and science kits. I can’t remember a time when I didn’t KNOW I would get a college education. When I want to give up, let go, or just plain stop trying she always gives me a loving nudge in the forward direction.

Being a gracious person has always been important to my mother. She knows how to carry herself with confidence and charm. In her line of business she coordinates all sorts of functions and parties, yet all the times I’ve seen her help others organize receptions of their own, she knows how to support them and not butt in. She taught me how to write a proper thank you note and promptly mail it. She knows her worth and quietly lives up to it.

It has only been recently that I have realized the sacrifices that my mom has made for me. When I was a junior in high school my mom got one of the best job offers of her career. If she would only move from Spokane to Salt Lake, she could be an area manager–a significantly higher position in status and pay. Another benefit to this move was it would bring her back to her family who live here in Utah. She turned it down. I would have had to go to a new school for my senior year in high school. She never complained and I, regrettably, never acknowledged the sacrifice.

My mom did so much for me today. With my wedding exactly four months from now my mom is in high gear. Today she just called me with an estimate for the caterer in between some of her tasks at work. She is in the middle of a big career change and yet seems to be wrapped up in my wedding. Again, as always I am amazed.

With all the pandemonium in our lives and with Mother’s Day on the way I’ve been thinking about my mom. Although my words right now don’t really seem to do her justice, I would just like to say thanks Mom.

3 comments:

katezmom said...

Oh, sweet pea, thank YOU

Anonymous said...

wow how nice!

Elia said...

That was really nice, and more of us should be thankful of the mother's we have and acknowlege the love and support they have given us. HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!!!! to all mother's who have loved and supported their kids as all mothers should..........