Thursday, January 11, 2007

Sewing

Well yesterday I was so excited about my surger being fixed that I went out and bought fabric for two projects that I've really been thinking about. First, the cradle mattress cover. Second, fabric to make replacement bags for our laundry bags. We bought a laundry bag hanging system when we got married and it works great. It has a plastic frame and three mesh bags that hang from it where we put our dirty clothing. Well, the mesh bags have not held up well. So I decided to get some lightweight canvas type fabric.

After I got home I decided to start with the bags since for that project I already had a pattern (the old bags). Well, let me tell you I must have been completely looney yesterday becuase I purchased only half the amount of fabric needed. That wasn't too bad I decided. I just started to make the first one anyway. Then when I was trying to put them together I cut out the bag so wrong somehow that it was 4 whole inches short in circumfrance! I have absolutely no idea how I managed to mess up that bag so badly! I was so upset by this that I decided to just give up on that project all together for the day. I'll go purchase more fabric and start over from scratch.

So to boost my spirits I decided to start on the mattress cover. I ended up making it like a duvet cover and I think I'll just get some velcro that I can put on the flap that goes around the back. If I had been a little more patient I could have waited for my mother-in-law to help (I didn't read that comment until this morning) and it probably would have turned out much better, but now it's done and it's servicable. I think I'm going to wait for my mother-in-law to help me with the laundry bags (since I've obviously proven my inability to make a simple bag.) It would be nice if I could put button holes in the canvas to go over the frame and I can't do that with a surger.

PS. As for photos of Charlotte's nursery, they're coming, I promise. I'm just having a little difficulty with transferring them. It shouldn't be hard so I don't really understand why it isn't working. (And this is where I show everyone my slowness with technology, oh well.)

3 comments:

katezmom said...

serger

Maggie said...

hahahahahaha! Thanks for the spell check mom!

Katie said...

Want know something awesome? I didn't even catch that typo! I love how much I suck at spelling.