Tuesday, January 23, 2007

We're Back

Well, it certainly has been a long time since I updated. Since I do this during down time at work, when there is no down time there are no posts. Anyway, as for updates I went to my doctor's appointment last week and they told me that I'm anemic. So now I have to take iron supplements. I have to take them in the opposite time of the day as my prenatal vitamins. Since I take the vitamins at night (because they tended to make me sick) I now take the iron in the morning. Ever since I started taking the iron guess what little friend popped back into my life. Barfing. Yep, last night I completely emptied the entire contents of my stomach from dinner on at about 11 PM. So I guess I'm really back to taking the anti-nausea medicine because I threw up again this morning. Although yesterday afternoon I went on a crazy cleaning streak where everything I touched needed to be spotless, organized, and sanitized so at least the toilet bowl was sparkly clean as my face was in it!

But on the plus side of the iron supplements it really got me motivated finally to exercise and drink enough water. The funny thing is that all the benefits to exercising that they told us at our childbirth class (quicker delivery, quicker recovery after delivery, less complications in general) didn't really motivate me to get back into exercising once I had stopped months ago. The threat of constipation from the iron supplements got me completely motivated and I haven't missed a day since I started. I guess I just needed the right sort of motivation.

So now that you've heard all my disgusting pregnancy updates I'm sure you all wish you were me. I really do feel good besides all that. Exercising has really helped reduce the annoyance factor that I have been feeling lately so I'm sure my husband is also happier.

My baby is so cute! Everyone told me how later on when she got stronger she would move a little arm, leg, or bum across my stomach and you could see it. Well, she doesn't really do that. What she does like to do is stick an appendage straight out from my stomach so I get this small very hard lump. My husband's favorite thing to do is feel around my tummy and find the hard lumps and push them in and see where the next one will appear. It's pretty funny.

Another cool trick is that she can detect changes in light. When I put a flashlight on my tummy she moves away from wherever the light is. It's so funny! You can follow her around with the light and she'll always move away from it. That makes me wonder if she's afraid of it or something so I don't really do it too often.

She also will always wiggle around when my husband talks to her tummy. He'll come home or lean over and start talking to my tummy and I tell him that she must be asleep because she hasn't been moving much lately, but as soon as he starts talking to her she starts moving. It's so funny!

Actual conversation at 12:30AM a few nights ago:

Me: "Now I can't sleep because I'm really hungry!"
Husband: "Hmm that's too bad."
Me: "I wonder if I can go to sleep and just eat in the morning or if this will keep me up and I should just go eat."
Husband: No response
Me: "What do you think I should eat?"
Husband: "Perhaps a smackeral of honey."

Guess what tomorrow is? My sweetie's birthday! I have wrapped the present that I'm giving him and also put a bow on the card that came from my aunt and uncle in the mail and also the two other presents that came in the mail from my family so his birthday breakfast should be pretty good tomorrow. I'm so excited! Honestly I think I might be a little more excited than he is but 25 is a big one isn't it? Maybe not, but I just want him to know how special he is. This morning I spent some time cutting out big HAPPY BIRTHDAY letters that I'm going to hang up in our trailer to surprise him in the morning. Oh I hope he likes my present to him!

Guess what happens two months from today? My due date! Woohoo!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Iron supplements are notorious for causing nausea - sorry. More meat, spinach, etc can a dietary supplement but you may have to eat ALOT. I found exercise really did help - when I was pregnant with Heather, the mornings I had dance class (ballet or modern & only at BYU would the instructor & some students be pregnant in those classes but I had pregnant instructors in BOTH!), I was less nauseous in the afternoons. I loved the "honey" comment, lest anyone forget that your tummy reminds Dan of Winnie the Pooh! Wish him a happy birthday from us & "the card is in the mail" - I seem to be especially "mailing-date" challenged this year.

Andrew McAllister said...

A smackeral of honey? I haven't heard that one since my kids were young enough to watch Pooh videos :o) What a hoot!

Andrew (To Love, Honor, and Dismay)

MrsEm said...

I have had to take iron on and off over the years.

The trick is to buy the more expensive Feosol (Carbonyl Iron) instead of the cheaper Ferrous Sulfate that causes the barfing. It's like night and day. Of course, you probably want to ask your doctor before switching.

Anonymous said...

25 is a big birthday--I had a mid-life crisis at 25 (or maybe it was pregnancy hormones since I was pregnant with Carson).

Maggie said...

LeAnn-Dan got a card in the mail from you today. Just so you know it got here. (Of course I didn't open it. It's waiting for him when he gets home.)

Andrew-I think it's funny that my husband thinks I look like Winnie the Pooh too!

Missem- Thanks for the advice! I'll bring it up at my appt on Monday.

Heather- Your quarter life crisis is kind of legendary. Nate actually brought it up last night.

Anth said...

I think the only advantage to turning 25 is you can rent a car. But personally, I like how 25 sounds. It's been a good year for me. :)