Thursday, June 12, 2008

Dante

He had it wrong. The final circle of hell isn't ice. It's a Missouri summer night without air conditioning. When people used to say "it's not the heat, it's the humidity that'll kill ya," I used to think they were totally full of it. I have changed my tune. A complete 180. Our AC (and fridge and dryer) went out yesterday and last night, after sweating it out all day in the new house without AC, we had to try and sleep through a night without that wonderful invention. It was as I lay ontop of my bed, without even a sheet to cover me, sweating from every pore of my body I realized that this could be hell.

I'm glad that the AC in our apartment was fixed today and sleeping tonight wont be so hard. I'm also elated that the new AC was installed in our new house today!!!!! Maybe time over there wont be so sticky anymore.

5 comments:

Sarah G said...

Amen Sister! I had the exact same thought about hell the other weekend it was 100 degrees in philly with crazy humidity and no AC.

I brought a bowl of ice to bed with me and rubbed it on every bare inch of skin I could find.

Your new place looks great, by the way!

Maggie said...

We took ice packs out of the freezer and put it under the sheet and then layed on top of the sheet. Worked pretty well.

Anth said...

Ugh I lived in St Louis 18 years ago and I STILL remember the horrible humidity. So glad your AC was fixed today!

TRS said...

Wow. I'm sure this won't help but...

I'm in Denver with no A/C but the building has swamp coolers in the common hallways.
When it's really hot in the summers, almost everyone has their apt doors open (some with baby gates to keep their pets inside) to let the cool air circulate.

Well, this spring - we did a little maintenance on the swamp coolers and they are going gang busters!

I finally asked the HOA to run them in moderation because I have to wear long pants and a hoodie sweatshirt to tolerate how cool it is.

I wish it was warmer.

Sorry. Feel free to hate me... or to visit if you want!!!

Maggie said...

Oh to live where swamp coolers actually work! We had one last year in our trailor and I would stand under it for hours! (I'm exaggerating, but it was great.) You're so lucky!