Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Progress

I've been wanting to post photos so badly since I took them, but unfortunately the cord from the camera to the computer is lost at the moment. I'm blaming it on Charlotte. She's figured out how to climb up on chairs now. The first time she did it by herself it was so exciting. Now it's just another elevation in the house that I need to baby proof.

Here's what's happened since last I posted photos:
  • Took the blue carpet out of the entryway.
  • Took the linoleum tiles up that were under the carpet (olive and cream set on point-it was totally awesome)
  • Used the heat gun to get most of the adhesive up under the tiles
  • Finished taking all the cabinetry downstairs
  • Ripped out the acoustic tile dropped ceiling in the kitchen (including the fluorescent light)
  • Figured out the wiring to get a new fixture in there
  • Had the plumber come and replace all the copper pipes that got stolen

And this next one I'm most proud of because I did it all myself:

  • Removed all the staples in the kitchen floor

There was slight drama today when Daniel thought he had ruined all the lights for the first floor of the house. At that point I thought it best that Charlotte and I go on an errand so as to let him fume in peace. We got electricians tape at Home Depot and by the time we got back he'd figured out what he did wrong and how to fix it and was again his happy self. (He was so mad I think I heard a "Darn" muttered under his breath.)

Our next steps are to patch up the holes in the walls and ceiling in the kitchen and then finish the floors. Then we'll be ready for my mom and dad to help with the kitchen installation and the bathroom work as well. It will be so great this time next week when my kitchen is all in!

PS. As soon as I find that cord there will be a whole lot of photos to post.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Are you guys installing recessed lighting in the kitchen? I think you should if you're redoing the entire ceiling anyway.

Can't wait to see the pics!

Maggie said...

We were planning to redo the ceiling, but it turns out that the majority of the plaster is still very, very adhered to the lath. So our new plan is to put a fixture above the little island and then do under cabinetry lighting for the rest of the room.