Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Decorating

I am simply loving all I'm learning about my husband's design style while working on this home. I was worried about this because the first year we were married he showed me a sofa with a southwestern/canyon view mural woven into the back with a coordinating cow hide chair and told me that he wanted to have something like that in his home one day. Also, when I was pregnant with Charlotte he said that if we had a boy he'd like to get a nursery set from Cabella's. Not the cute little animal one, but the real tree/camo one. None of these things fit into my view of what I want in my home. I figured we would both be having to open our minds to new ideas through this experience.

Despite all these previous design "finds" of his I have been delighted with his choices for our home. Firstly, he was the one to fall in love with this house because of it's details. He loves the bench, the molding, the fireplaces, and the stairs. He loves the look of older homes and enjoys the small irregularities that come from people having lived in a place. He loves to bring out the beauty that came from the original architecture, which explains going back to the original hardwood floors. Secondly, he was the first to chose the kitchen back splash, the floor stain color, and the cabinetry. All of these I fell in love with when he showed them to me so we needed little to no negotiation about it. Thirdly, he found all the lighting for our home. He really had to sell me on the universality of the leaded glass lights and also that they matched the rest of the home, but they look so classy. I think they're beautiful and I hope that whomever buys this house in three years will think so too. Lastly, I love that he likes my choices of paint in the kitchen and bath, and the tile I chose for the bathroom. I chose those without even showing them to him because they were good finds or because he couldn't be with me. He's also happy with my choices of accessories.

Tomorrow we are going to texturize the living room ceiling and walls. Pretty much right after that we need to paint them. He turns to me and says, "You're going to need to pick a paint color for this room." I love that he has in his mind that paint is my department. I don't know why it became my department, but just as electrical, plumbing and carpentry are his departments mine is clearly paint and decor. Of course we run things by each other, but I am in charge. Thrilled as I am about this I'm sort of worried about what to chose. I went so dark in the kitchen and so light in the bathroom. I love both choices, but I don't know what to go with in the living room. Our sofa is green and the chair is a lighter green. I put a quilt up on the wall in our last place with matching green, cream, deep red, and peach (well not really peach, but I can't think of a better name) in it and got candles and other things to match that. I'll need to sort of stick to the same theme because I can't change the furniture, but what to paint the walls? I don't know. The rug for that room is brown, green, and blue, but mostly just looks brown. I don't think I should go with green since there are so many different shades of green, but I don't think brown in another room is a good idea. I don't know.

But what I do know is that I've fallen in love with my kitchen all over again. I have a plate rail that runs about a foot from the ceiling on the wall with the fridge. I would love to get some plates to go along it that go with the Swiss coffee white that I painted the trim. I think they would really stand out against the brown and look really pretty. It probably wont happen, but I was picturing it while painting and decided that I love that idea.

No comments: