Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I feel like sewing today

We really felt like we could see the light at the end of the tunnel. And then the ceiling caved in on us. Literally. Right now there's three huge holes in our living room ceiling where soggy plaster sagging with the extra water weight crumbled at the first touch. That's the bad news. The good news is that Dan found the problem and it was simpler than what we originally thought. The bad news is that this whole problem is because one of the connections in the PVC plumbing to the tub had no glue on it. It wiggled and jiggled until a pocket of air was caught inside it and built up pressure and popped the juncture open. The good news was that all we have to do to fix the plumbing is put glue on the thing. Now we have to wait a couple of days to let the room dry out and then patch up the hole. Luckily we had cardboard covering the whole floor before this happened so the hardwood underneath was almost completely dry.

Also, Charlotte has a cold which means she's crabby. She slept-ish from 11:30 to 1:15. Then a little after 3 I could no longer take her crying so I packed her up in the car and headed for our friend's house. She fell asleep on the way and has now slept for about an hour. I'm not getting much done over here.

It's when that happens that I tend to get online and inspired by other people's designs. I really feel like sewing today. Here are some projects I've been envisioning for myself lately. I want to make either a white or yellow v-neck dress with a ballerina waist and an A line skirt. I can't decide in my mind's eye to do cap sleeves or puffed sleeves. Also I would like to make a fall type dress for Charlotte. I have some plaid fabric (thanks Grandma LeAnn) with coordinating floral. It's kinda springy in the look, but if I used the plaid as the main fabric I bet I could get away with it. And if I can't sew I would like to find some botanical prints to frame for the walls in the living room. I think they would look really pretty in there. I think we're going to paint the walls a warm toned tan color, but I still have to ask Dan what he's thinking. Barring that I would like to start a new quilt. I decided that I'd like to make a quilt for Charlotte's eventual big girl bed. That way it can look just exactly how I want it to.

Unfortunately I still don't have a house to sew in. My sewing room is currently our storage space. Also I don't have any money to spend on non-essentials...like food. Oh well, I'll just enjoy what all those projects look like in my mind. Sometimes that's the best way to enjoy them. That way I don't have to worry about getting them done and I don't have regret over spending money on things I shouldn't have.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's nice that LeAnn sends you fabric so you can afford to do something you love. We won't be getting a blog ever, because I don't have time for it and also who wants to read about us?!?! I'm weird anyway in that I don't want my life story on the internet. Good luck with the house - it's never ending repair and work around here, so I can definitely feel for you. If only it were also never ending money and time to take care of things...
Love you, Jenny

Maggie said...

I love you too Jenny. At least you have a shower now!

Heather said...

I am late on the commenting here, but I have an idea in my head of a quilt I want to make for Ezra for when he has a toddler bed. Even though it is still a far way off, I'm sad that I 1-don't sew and 2-don't own a sewing machine. Maybe we could do a long distance tutorial? Or maybe I should try to make friends with someone who knows how to sew really well and will let me borrow her machine? Or maybe I should pick up a new hobby? Or maybe you and Dan should pick up and move everything over here so you can help me?

I'm glad things are going so well for you. Miss you!