Monday, April 12, 2010

He's Totally Right....And I Hate It

Last Saturday Greg crawled off the edge of the top of our stairs. The only thing that kept us from a trip to the ER was me pushing Charlotte over and grabbing him by is ankle before his plummet. The same fall that one of Charlotte's friends took that sent her to the ER. I've been telling Dan we need to install a mounted baby gate at the top of our stairs for a couple of weeks now since Greg has been able to crawl with some proficiency, but we've both just sort of procrastinated the issue. After that incident there was no procrastination in my mind. I talked and talked and talked about going to get a new one. Then Dan said we shouldn't go get a new baby gate. We need to use the one we have in our basement. The one we have in our basement we used in our apartment to gate off the entire landing at the top of the stairs. Its metal and heavy and it doesn't mount into anything. It wont mess up the woodwork. It was perfect for our old apartment, but I was convinced that it wouldn't work at the top of the stairs. The feet are too big. It will block the door to the toy room. Charlotte wont be able to use it. I wanted what I had in my mind as the perfect solution. I complained and complained until he brought the thing up and set it up.

It's too big and clunky. In order for it to fit at the top of the stairs it has to go into the toy room and push the table at the top of the stairs away. It isn't perfect. My first reaction was, "I hate it." I stewed. Then I realized that to buy a baby gate new will be expensive. Charlotte probably wont be able to work it anyway and we'd be making holes in the wood work in our house. So I fixed the part that Charlotte wont be able to control and moved a few things around and now I have to tell everyone.

Dan was totally right. This baby gate will be what we need for the landing. Plus, it keeps Greg from falling down the stairs so I guess I don't really hate it.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

You didn't tell me that he almost fell down the stairs! Scary scary scary.