Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Loving My Family

I guess I shouldn't be amazed about all the things that I learn from the simple experience of being part of a family. Here's another one to remember. I always knew my aunts and uncles loved me growing up. There was no doubt in my mind because they were there in the family before I was and waiting for me with open arms when I came into the world. I never had the experience of adding on aunts and uncles until much later (Hi Aunt Sue!) and it was awesome.

You know what else is awesome? Being the aunt. It is amazing! When I married my husband his brothers and sisters already had kids so I wasn't there to greet my nieces and nephews into the family with open and loving arms. At first I thought this would be awkward and uncomfortable to suddenly be an aunt to so many. Thoughts kept flying through my head. How could I possibly feel the love that I know my aunts had for me? These are kids, big kids, I don't know all that well. At least I am around for the youngest niece to be born. I have a chance to give that to her.

This week my husband's brother and wife are in town with three of their kids and I learned something about myself. It doesn't matter that they were part of the family before me. I love them so very much. Somewhere along the line they went from strangers to dearly, dearly loved children (and the same goes for my brother and sister-in-law). I tried to contain my enthusiasm to get them to come here while they were deciding their spring break plans. The night before they got here I barely slept with excitement. And I will bend over backwards to make them happy if I can. And I will buy a $3 soda at the zoo if I know it will help them enjoy it more. I love their laughs, and smiles. I love how when they wake up in the morning with my daughter all four of them practically burst out the bedroom door.

I also learned that I feel this way about all the family that I married into. I love them all so dearly and fiercely. Yes, there are still differences in personalities that we have to work through, but that doesn't diminish all the love I have for all of them. I look forward to when I get to see them and I'm disappointed when opportunities are missed. I am continually amazed at how boundless the love a person can cultivate within themselves seems to be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And "those other members" love you fully and completely too. We are eternally grateful to have you as part of our family.
Grandpa John

dad said...

We also love our new family. Craig and Leann(hope I spelled it correct)are the greatest.

The rest of the tribe are also wonderful.

Jenny said...

Sorry about the pop... your nieces and nephews have cheapo parents!! Add it to my tab.
Love ya

Maggie said...

Don't feel bad about the pop. I needed some too. Everything at the zoo is too expensive. I'm just glad you had a good time.